Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I bought a 1988 Sierra/Samurai 1.3l as a project some months ago I have spent forever trying to fix the carby but I'm not getting anywhere with it.. infact I've gone backwards!! When I first got the car it would never idle when cold (had to hold foot on gas to keep it running until warm, then the car ran practically perfect) so in an effort to fix this I rebuilt the carb (first time i've done one) and this didn't fix the cold idle and turns out to have made things a lot worse.

The car now splutters and coughs, has an out of tune like wobble/shake to it across the rev range and it's even backfiring rapidly though the carb and stalling under throttle. Clearly I've botched a couple things with the rebuild haha even though I followed the instructions and it's all back together correctly. But all the adjustments are still the same as before so I'm thinking this could be the issue, as for one the float needle was replaced. Would this mean I need to readjust the float angle and the mixture screw because of the new needle?
I also lost the little spring that sits in a channel with a ball and weight, so I grabbed a practically identical sized spring from the hardware store so maybe that could be causing it to splutter and backfire. Not sure why it's running so bad since the rebuild I thought I got everything right but obviously not!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
vacuum leak? maybe you didnt seal the gasket correctly? Start the engine from cold, spray some Carb cleaner around the base of the carb and if it idles higher then its sucking air and not sealed correctly. google it before you do it though -> can be dangerous apparently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back fire and bad cold start

Hello I had the same issue with mine and For one the suzuki carbs are not worth rebuilding I had mine done and it never worked so I bought a webber carb 32/36 manual choke directly from webber and its been a charm, your back fire sounds like a spark plug wire issue make sure your wires are on correctly and your distributor cap and rotor are good. Now for your cold start problem I had the same issue when I conected the new carb and if you look closely just under your carb on the intake manifold on the right side there is two small air ports those need to be conected or plugged and there is also a valve under the carb on the left side that needs to be conected or plugged what happens its creating a vacum leak and it will cause your sammy to start under manual foot start until warm. Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts