Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, doing a complete transmission rebuild on my 89 Samurai. Got everything broken down, cleaned and waiting for the rest of the needle bearings to arrive. The last thing I was doing was removing the output seal and bushing. Got the seal out , pain in the (@#^&%). The bushing is in there pretty good. I have a shop press, which is what I used to break down the main and counter shaft. Would be very,very difficult without one. I have a bearing and seal driver set for use on the output seal. My question is : Has anyone ever replaced this part before, if so how difficult was it to remove. I dont want to damage the housing. Have a 20 Ton press so pressure is not a problem.Just wondering if I should just leave it alone.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, I replaced the bushing on my last transmission rebuild. I don't remember having any trouble pressing it out. I did remember there is an oil drain hole in the new bushing, that needs to line up right, when you press the new one in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Yes I know about the oil bypass hole. It just seems the bushing is taking an unusual amount of pressure to press out. I didnt want to break the case with to much pressure .

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you're not comfortable with the force its taking to press it out, I'd heat it with a torch a little. Should let the aluminum expand faster than the bronze and loosen up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the bushing out. Had to it in half with a hacksaw. Luckily there is an oil channel down the side that gave clearance for the blade. When I got it out, I noticed the housing was scored like there were contaminants present when the bushing was pressed in. Dont think it would have pressed out without damaging the housing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts