Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to collect parts for engine rebuild, there seems to be alot of different brands for bearings. Are there any that are better than the rest or is King just as good as TOGA? Any info on a cam, looking at Zuki engines Stage 2 (hiway) cam?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can't help you on the bearings, but I had a Hawk Torquer cam in the 1.6 8v I put my Samurai. I just did a search and see they merged with LowRangeOffroad. They have two different camshafts available. The one I had was the 260, broad powerband cam, but they also have the 272 which is a more high rpm cam.

Boy, the prices sure have jumped since I bought mine about 6 years ago...

1.6L 8 Valve Tourqer and High Performance Replacement Cam (camshaft) - 1.6L 8V Engine G16A - 1989-1998 Sidekick | Tracker | X90 | Escudo | Vitara | Sunrunner - Suzuki Parts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am expecting to pull the engine out of my 1992 sidekick in the spring, and it will get what it needs. I am 61, and have rebuilt many engines over the years. This engine is burning a little oil, about 1 liter per 2000 kms. This is not much, but I will spread it across the shop, and it will get what it needs. Nothing better than the starting of an engine after a build and seeing it fire right up. The only thing I am unaware of at the moment is the matter of boring the sleeves. Are these bored in the the block? or is it possible to remove and replace them. I have a buddy I went to high school with all those years ago, and he has an engine shop and will do the head and bore the block for me. I doubt the crank will need work, as I am intending to tear it down long before it comes to that. Pistons, rings bearings, seals, gaskets, a new clutch, a water pump, etc. I am happy with the power and will not be replacing the camshaft unless I find something wrong with the one in it. This will be a good project for me.

·
Administrator
16,365 Posts
Bore in place.

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
is there plenty of metal in the sleeve to bore? are they ever too thin?
Yes they will get too thin, id have to check my piston size book. I know a common adaptation is bore small end to 20 mm and use Mazda pistons for a little more compression
You should be ok out to 2.0 mm overside I would think. Check with your engine builder

·
Administrator
16,365 Posts
There is enough metal in the sleeve to bore to what I would call the "normal" over sizes which would be 1.0 or 2.0 mm over - if you're attempting to bore over that to fit pistons from a different engine, then yes, it is possible to bore too thin, I would suggest you consult your machine shop buddy on what is too thin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is enough metal in the sleeve to bore to what I would call the "normal" over sizes which would be 1.0 or 2.0 mm over - if you're attempting to bore over that to fit pistons from a different engine, then yes, it is possible to bore too thin, I would suggest you consult your machine shop buddy on what is too thin.
Just whatever will provide a good seal and maximum life is good for me. I do not need extra power, I am going to put the 4.24 trail creeper gears in the transfer case which will give me all the torque I could ever ask for. Thanks for the info... There will soon be snow here, so it is a project for the spring..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts