Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the site. I recently bought myself an 87 Sammi, and ran across this site in my search for answers. I bought the Sammi with it not running, pouring gas in the carb it runs like a top. Sounds great! So I assumed a fuel pump or clogged fuel filter and I'd have her running at a steal of a deal. The samurai literally has zero rust and almost perfect. Has 46k miles on it. Well after my efforts of trying to get it running, now all the sudden I have water in my oil. That wasn't in there before I checked it even after the guy I bought it from poured had in the carb to prove it runs good. So I'm not sure if this is due to the fuel pump i installed somehow or most likely blowed a head gasket. So I don't want to tackle that alone so I had a guy come pick it up and take it to his shop to open it up and see what's up. He said if it's just the head gasket he would rebuild the whole top end replacing all the gaskets water pump etc on the way out. He is also going to pump a weber 32/36 carb on that I supplied, ripping all the emissions bs and vacuum lines out. I asked him what kind of cost I'm looking at and he told me 1500-2000 including machine shop. Is this not over priced or does that seem about right? I was thinking 1000 tops. Any help I can get would be appreciated. At 2000 bucks I'm thinking I could have a built 1.3 from extreme zuks installed. Let me know what you guys think

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello everyone, I am new to the site. I recently bought myself an 87 Sammi, and ran across this site in my search for answers. I bought the Sammi with it not running, pouring gas in the carb it runs like a top. Sounds great! So I assumed a fuel pump or clogged fuel filter and I'd have her running at a steal of a deal. The samurai literally has zero rust and almost perfect. Has 46k miles on it. Well after my efforts of trying to get it running, now all the sudden I have water in my oil. That wasn't in there before I checked it even after the guy I bought it from poured had in the carb to prove it runs good. So I'm not sure if this is due to the fuel pump i installed somehow or most likely blowed a head gasket. So I don't want to tackle that alone so I had a guy come pick it up and take it to his shop to open it up and see what's up. He said if it's just the head gasket he would rebuild the whole top end replacing all the gaskets water pump etc on the way out. He is also going to pump a weber 32/36 carb on that I supplied, ripping all the emissions bs and vacuum lines out. I asked him what kind of cost I'm looking at and he told me 1500-2000 including machine shop. Is this not over priced or does that seem about right? I was thinking 1000 tops. Any help I can get would be appreciated. At 2000 bucks I'm thinking I could have a built 1.3 from extreme zuks installed. Let me know what you guys think

Bump

·
Registered
264 Posts
First off, there's no way replacing a fuel pump would damage anything that would allow water in the oil.
Before spending $1500~$2000 for a top end only rebuild, I'd definitely shop around. Get a price to remove and replace the engine only, to see if you'd be money ahead by doing a rebuild swap.
I'm sure I spent that much, or, more on my full rebuild project, but I replaced a lot of items most rebuilds don't. From rebuilding the transmission and transfer case, to new coolant hoses, clutch, pressure plate, rebuilt distributer, cam, rockers, valves and springs, guides, cylinder bore, crank work, rods, motor mounts, etc.
I didn't want to go back in a few months later and fix things I bypassed the first go round. I had to pull the motor a year later anyway, to replace defective piston rings.
About the only thing I did keep track of was engine installation time, which took four hours, working by myself, from engine off the stand, installing all accessories, fluids, hoses, to driving out the garage door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying! I really think I could tackle the job just not sure if I will have time. Seems to also be harder these days to find mechanics that will work on them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I rebuilt my 1.3 top to bottom, and I spent about 1300.00 but I pulled the motor and installed it no problem. I did 10.2 high compression piston and mid to high range cam, I had to replace the crank due to the bearing stacking on the rods, so I just did the whole motor and it hauls ass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea the guy called me yesterday and said depending on how it goes at the machine shop I'm looking around 1300-1400 but this is all too end. New water pump, timing belt ect...
I'd like to do more to it but right now I just want it running good to start my project.

·
Super Moderator
13,770 Posts
A fully rebuilt head can be had for as little as $250 (ebay), it sounds like you're being taken for a very expensive ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome I can't be no help except to tell the manual and Automotive Repair Books have helped me some. U from Al. I live in Dothan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got to strongly agree with, "Fodem" here. I had a repair transmission shop for many years. Luckily, I retired while I was still sane.

But for sure get another opinion here. Pulling a head on a Samurai is nothing compared to most cars today, and these parts are pretty cheap to boot. That quote seems a tad extreme. IMHO.

First off, I would troubleshoot your issue in more detail of getting gas to the carburetor. Then go from there. You may be pleasantly surprised!

·
Registered
18 Posts
That price does seem a tad expensive. I rebuilt the whole engine myself and had the block resleeved, cost me about $500 incl the high comp pistons.
If I had to spend $1000 on repairs I'd rather be looking at a 1.6 8V

1 - 11 of 11 Posts