Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Tracker 4 x 4 and recently I have noticed wet traction to be slipping. It happens on start up most noticeably, but yesterday on an exit ramp at the posted speed, I got a little wiggle and only my F1 skills kept me on the road. I noticed a few months ago that the back end was unstable on patchy ice too. I have 25 lbs in the tires and about 20% tread. I know pickups do better with weight in the bed. How about TracKicks, and if so, how much? Is there an axle wrap thing going on here?

·
Super Moderator
19,086 Posts
I was immediately thinking tire grip (a tire type with poor attributes or just old and no longer pliable / grippy), but 20% tread? :eek:
As in REMAINING??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That is a guess..they do look like they will need replacing before the Fall rains...they are not slicks yet. They are GoodYear VIVA 2 215x70x15. I just bought it so I cannot know how many years old they are but they look and seem more like a car tire than mud/snow or all terrain.

·
Super Moderator
19,086 Posts
Viva's are a low end passenger car tire, supposedly only sold at Walmart. :(

Get some quality new rubber on there and I'm sure you'll be happier.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Walmart specials are only for people who are too strapped for cash for decent tires. They're not going to perform well at anything.

That said, I use 225/75R15 General Grabber AT2s and it's still easy to get the wheels spinning when the road is wet or raining. When it's wet, from a stop, being quick on the gas will cause me to spin the tires (Tire. Open diff. Ha.) in place. There's one turn leading to my house that I have to take slower than normal (normal on wet roads in most cars) or the tail will slip out up to a foot. With brand new, quality tires it's still not that hard to lose wet traction. These trucks are light weight with little over the rear wheels. Nature of the beast.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It sounds like those grabbers are a good traction tire either. Tires that slip when starting off are not good at stopping either, which is the most important part of going, the stopping.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I just bought it so I cannot know how many years old they are but they look and seem more like a car tire than mud/snow or all terrain.
Every tire has a 4 digit code on the sidewall which gives it's "born on date".

·
Registered
157 Posts
It sounds like those grabbers are a good traction tire either. Tires that slip when starting off are not good at stopping either, which is the most important part of going, the stopping.
They only slip in the rain if I give it lots of gas. When driving normally they're fine. Stopping is also fine unless it's pouring out or I lock up the wheels by braking too hard.

They're not much worse than the various "high performance all seasons" that I've run on my Eclipse over the years.

In snow or dirt the Grabbers are fantastic.

That same corner that I mentioned makes my Grand Marquis slip the rear, too. That corner is just unusually slick and RWD vehicles need extra caution. FWD ones are fine.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I really doubt it is the corner that is the problem and to me slipping on corners or when hard on the brakes (wet or dry) is a problem. Esp. if your wife and/or children are in the vehicle.

If you are alright with it that is up to you but sooner or later you will come to realize what I mean, unfortunately, it may be after a few more fenders.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I really doubt it is the corner that is the problem and to me slipping on corners or when hard on the brakes (wet or dry) is a problem. Esp. if your wife and/or children are in the vehicle.

If you are alright with it that is up to you but sooner or later you will come to realize what I mean, unfortunately, it may be after a few more fenders.
The Grabber AT2s are well rated. They rank with the best street tires in truck sizes. Wet traction included.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2

(surveys tab)

General Grabber AT2 - Free Delivery Available | TireBuyer.com

General Grabber AT2 Tire Reviews (67 Reviews)

Seeing how only that one corner has ever given me that issue, in any vehicle in any state I've driven in, I'm not terribly concerned about it. I've tried to do it elsewhere under the same conditions (private property, no other people around) and have been unable to do so. I also figure out the limits of a vehicle early so I know how to stay within them.

I get what you're saying, but with no ABS locking up any car will make it slide when going speeds that ones sees in and around town (40 mph+). Especially so when the ground is covered in water.

Every tire has a limit. My Z runs Mickey Thompson street radials and has ABS and has aftermarket Racelogic traction control (kept at about 85% usually) and I can get the tires spinning under the right circumstances even without wet roads. It takes a lot more to make that happen with that setup but it's still possible.

If you know of a magic tire that never loses traction in a non ABS, lightweight, RWD, open diff vehicle in any road condition whether the tires are rolling or locked up and can ignore inertia then let me know so I can buy them.

You have 4 vehicles. What tires do you run that are so wonderful as to avoid the inherent battle between inertia and greatly reduced friction on wet roads?

*Edit*

You know what, don't bother responding. You started it but I have no intentions of continuing this farce of a "discussion". I wont continue this. That's not what this site is for. Go be condescending to someone else.

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
Get under the car, and seriously look at your rear suspension, rear frame (where shock bracket is welded to the frame, etc). While tires can often be a cause of this - so can the rear suspension, particularly if you live in the rust belt.

·
Registered
621 Posts
My money is on terrible tires.

As for the grabber at2s...and the clusterfu.. of a discussion they caused.... they are one of, if not, the best tires on the market. Wet traction is outstanding. With all new brakes (calipers, lines, cylinders, pads...) in a four door and stomping on the brakes, I get zero bark, just quick stops.

They are arguably just as good as the super sticky kuhmos I used to run on my xB.

If they are slipping, there is something else going on.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
T... I just bought it so I cannot know how many years old they are ....
Here ya go:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!50154916573!e!!g!!tire%20date%20code&ef_id=eVJN4KhSIA0AAAKj:20140615214833:s

I have bought tires on Sidekicks and on Sidekick wheels that were older than the car! All with very good tread... like 90% or better. As the set with the wheels were the type/brand installed by Suzuki, they were most likely spare tires from several Sidekicks.

Check the Internet for horror stories about tire age. But keep in mind, the actual age of the tire is only one of many things to consider when replacing tires.

Back to your question: 20% tread left on the rear of a light rear wheel drive vehicle? Yes, you'll have traction problems and a little weight in the rear would help... as long as it isn't sliding around. (You understand how a slide hammer works?)

Did you know they recommend the best tires (most thread) to be on the rear of both front wheel drive AND rear wheel drive vehicles? Reduces the possibility of spins. You can look up LOTS more sources but here is a fairly good discussion:
Blog Post | Why should two new tires always go in the back? Find out. | Car Talk

·
Registered
158 Posts
When I got mine the rear shocks were shot and the tires would hop and it felt very unsafe. New shocks made a HUGE difference.

While I won't allow Walmart to mount my tires because (at least here) their people don't know what they are doing, the tires themselves I've found to be great. I used the Viva Touring on several cars and for an all-season they've been better than any other I've had. I put the Wrangler Radials (oversize but it's what I wanted) and they've been great too through the Michigan winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts