Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to replace rear wheel bearing. Discovered this when checking brake pads. I have done this in the past a long time ago....any words of wisdom before I tear into it?

GIZMO

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if you've done wheel bearings before then this won't be anything new or exciting... It's pretty straightforward and simple. It was probably harder getting that rear drum off when you were checking your pads.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well....this has been an interesting ordeal. Here is some advice. If you have to do this....just go to NAPA and get the whole rebuild kit at one time. They might have to order it but it will be time saved. Trying to find the bearing at one store, the oil seal at another and the retainer ring some place else is to say the least, time consuming. Tear down was easy after I made my own axle puller. Paint everything up and install new parts tomorrow and should be back on the road. GIZMO looks kind of pitiful out there with one leg up in the air and no foot.:(

GIZMO

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Modification

I read the article, but did not apply it. With the bearing just pressed in the end of the axle and a hole cut into the backing plate. It would seem to me that there would not be a, "What you would call a back up plan" to retain the axle if the bearing were to slip out of the end of the housing. It takes some doing to press the axle into the opening, but if I can pound the axle into the slot with a 4 pound deadblow hammer, I would not want to take the chance of pulling the axle out on the side of a rock ledge. Anyway...interesting article thanks.

GIZMO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts