Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi . i was wondering if anyone could tell me whats involved in pulling a rear wheel bearing on my 1986 samurai JX . i've had it apart partially in the past to check that it was the bearing going out . and i found that the axle shaft move's about 1/4" side to side . so it is the bearing . but anyway i was wondering if it is just as simple as it looks to be ? . from what i understand the following is what has to be done . pull the wheel and tire off then pull the brake drum . unhitch the parking brake cable and brake line . the zip out the four bolts holding the backing plate to the axle houseing and pull the axle and bearing out . if im missing something here it would great if someone would let me know . thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rear Axle breakdown

The big problem is removing the the bearing retainer as you need to cut or grind it down. Most use a grinder to grind down one side of the retainer without damaging the axle. Once you are almost through, you should be able to knock it loose.

When installing the new retainer, cool the axle down in the fridge and heat the retainer in the oven. Should slip on easier that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks very much haptown . by the way does the actual bearing press on ? . or does it just slide on and then the retainer is pressed on ? . thanks very much

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys , long time no see , i've been really busy lately , and just now getting around to ordering the parts to do the sj410 retainer plate mod and new bearings , ect , just had one more question , from what i can see from the pics in the sj410 retainer plate how to (thanks haptown for the info) is that it is a non sealed bearing that gets lubricated via the gear oil in the diff , am i right on that fact or do i need to grease the bearing before installing it ? , thanks again for all the info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts