Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here ever changed the rear differential (transaxle) and transfer case gear oil on an 08 suzuki sx4 crossover w/all wheel drive? How do you do it? The owner's manual states that you need special tools to complete the job, is this true? Is it necessary for me to change the gear oil at 15K miles as stated in the owners manual? Will I run into any long term problems if I don't?

·
Registered
388 Posts
They are just small gear boxes with 3/8" drive drain plugs. Use an extension if necessary to reach. I'd recommend installing synthetic like a Mobil1 as you do not have to change it often and a couple of bucks over 100K or so is not worth not getting the good stuff.

75W-90 GL-5 is a really good choice (Syn) and 80W-90 GL-5 for conventional. You should need only 2 quarts to do both but get a third just in case (I have had some be a little short of a quart). Drain clean the drain plug (magnetic) and fill through the other plug. I use a syphon pump to do it at the dealership but there are some other pumps to install on the bottle I have seen in the past.

Fill to the top hole while level.

Easy.

Problem is the break in fluid and wear that is to be removed that was not. YUCK. Change your oil.

·
Registered
143 Posts
may i suggest you join SX4 Forums
there is a HOW TO on just about anything.

just join up, say hi, introduce yourself, and then use the search button to get what you want to know. if not, ask and someone will help you out.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
As another Suzuki mechanic on here I HIGHLY recommend changing the rear diff and trasfer drive fluids. Go with synthetic but that doesn't mean you can get away with longer change intervals. Whatever you decide you'll discover the fluid that comes out of the transfer drive especially will be black already.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'm wanting to change my own transfer case and differential oil.
I need to know the exact amount of oil for each location.

I know this sounds weird, but I really need to know.

Shadow :cool:

·
Registered
566 Posts
gear oil

Shadow= my 2010 says 0.8L (1.7 US pints) for rear differential---- 0.6L (1.2 US pints for transfer gear box. I'd say that didn't change much if at all from earlier years! have fun.;)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I still won't say exactly why, but I need to get the quantity down to the ounce.

I suppose I can just drain a gear box and measure the amount of oil that comes out. I need to find a large measuring cup, graduated in ounces.
I was just in Wally's World this afternoon and I forgot all about that.

Thanks for all the help. I'll finger it out.

If that's the hardest thing I have to do this month, that will be a miracle.;)

Thanks again,

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Shadow= my 2010 says 0.8L (1.7 US pints) for rear differential---- 0.6L (1.2 US pints for transfer gear box. I'd say that didn't change much if at all from earlier years! have fun.;)
It would appear that the 2009 differential takes just a little bit less than the 2010.:confused:
Since GL5 comes in 1 Quart bottles, (here), I wanted to know how many bottles I need to have on hand when I get ready to change my gear box(s) fluids.

Thanks to yous guys, now I know I'll need to buy 2 Quarts, and I'll have some left over, for use elsewhere.

Thanks Mates!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thank you very much Tom

I just couldn't find that info. Blame it on old age and failing eyesight.

Cheers Mate
You are welcome Shadow ;)
I will be doing my rear diff this summer. Even though the vehicle is 2 1/2 yrs old it only has 4800 miles on it. Luckily a good friend of mine owns a repair shop so I will be able to use one of his hoists.
As for old age & failing eyesight, I can relate (throw in a screwed-up back for some real joy).

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The hoist would be nice, for sure. But all I have is my very sandy back yard, and my concrete ramps.

Back? I broke my back in Basic Training in 1961. I know your pain, and you have my deepest sympathy. It can be a bitch.
I just live with it and try to deal with it, the best I can.
Surgery? No way in H***!!!

I won't take Rx drugs for pain, but I have a standing Rx for 800mg Ibuprofen.
That and a little Wild Turkey 101, works pretty well. ;):lol::lol:

Lubricants can and will deteriorate with age as well as use, that's why the spec for engine oil is 3k miles or three months, whichever comes first. In my own case, it's sort of a coin toss, which will come first.

I was going to do my 21k oil and filter change this weekend, but I've got service calls this weekend, so the oil change will have to wait a few more days. No big deal!

I'm retired, but still a working Computer tech and still running service calls.
Social Security, just doesn't pay enough for Beer and Pizza. ;):lol::lol::lol:

Thanks again for your info on the gear box fluids.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Today, while poking around in the SX4 Service manual, I finally found the page on the Rear Differential and worked this page over a little and put it on "Photobucket". Here it is.

I added a little TEXT to define certain things a little better.
I did the same thing for the Page on the Transfer Case:

This really helped me and I hope it will help someone else, who is thinking of changing the fluid in their own gear boxes. I've noted how many US Ounces of each fluid that need to be used.

Cheers mates!

·
Registered
42 Posts
08 SX4 Hatch - 55,000 miles. Love it too much to admit it's a guzzler.
It takes a good amount of work to properly get your SX4 through it's first 50,000 miles. You should follow your book closely. Whenever you go to the dealer make sure you keep all the work order because the resale value of these cars is comical. You can bank an extra $1,000 by having good paperwork of all the work Mr. Dealer did. I just had the dealer change the front and rear Diff fluids for $150.00...Good deal - I'll have them do it again just before winter. It would be cool to have an animation of what goes on inside that rear transfer case. Something high tech on the dash that tells you where the power is going per wheel. It's one of the best AWD systems I've ever seen - it really is top notch for traction. It's time for the AWD SX4 to lengthen the axles and widen the wheels. It's time for Suzuki to bring a plug-in electric hybrid that still has a high torque diesel engine crammed in there. Something I can drive with spirit in a full on blizzard and get my first 30 miles for pennies.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
A real Guzzler, Eh?

I've asked, begged and pleaded for people to get proactive about getting better gas mileage and then post on the forum what they did to save gas.
The answer "don't drive" while worth a chuckle, isn't really the answer.
Granted, us retirees can somewhat limit our travel, but the commuters and soccer moms just can't do that.

It should be obvious to even the most inept drivers, that just grumbling about poor gas mileage does no good. With gas prices in the US approaching $4 per gallon, it's time to get Pro-active about saving gas.

I have one trip of about 200 miles, that I make at least once a month. Using some basic conservative driving techniques, I've managed to increase my MPG for that trip from 27 to 31.5 MPG. That is without adding anything to my engine but a K&N Air Cleaner. (that does help, but it shouldn't count, because I put that on, the first week I had my car.)

On Topic: In the next week or two, weather permitting, (it's only 39°F, here this morning) I'll be changing the GL5 oil in my transfer case and rear differential. I'll also be adding the Prolong Friction Reducing compound at 10%, to my gear box fluid.
I use Prolong in my engine and AT and it's made quite a difference in the way the car drives. The engine runs cooler and idles smoother and accelerates faster and the AT shifts smoother too.
I and many Nascar drivers have been using the "Prolong" products for many years and they really do make a difference.

I do wish you guys up north, would keep this cold air up there where it belongs. It's COLD here this morning! My fingers are so stiff, I can hardly type. Brrrrrrrr!

:cool:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Having the dealer do the gear box oil changes isn't a real bad deal, except when they over-charge you. For the transfer case, I was charged for two quarts of GL5 @ $16 per quart. That box only holds 20.29 ounces.(not even one quart) Cheeech!
GL5 at store retail prices is only about $6 and change per Qt.

As for the frequency for those gear box oil changes, I refer to the Owners Manual. For the first oil change, the differential should be done at 7500 miles and the Transfer Case at 15,000. I had both of mine done, right on schedule.

There is NO schedule that calls for both boxes to be changed at the same time.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thread sealant

What exactly is that "Suzuki Bond No. 1217G" sealant you are supposed to put on the threads? Is it like blue Loctite, or more like plumber's pipe dope?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
It's made by elves in a hollow tree.;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've been doing my own mechanic work for over 50 years and I've grown to know and use Permatex products. Permatex Gasket Maker works great on those threads. That's what I used on mine. Don't forget to torque those plugs to spec. An inexpensive Torque Wrench is a great tool to have when working on your SX4.
I'd not use teflon tape though. If it gets off and into the gear box it could cause trouble.

Don't get real creative with those gear lubes. Suzuki calls for GL5, for both the transfer case and differential and that's what should be used. It's fairly inexpensive and available at every auto parts store.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts