Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a jimny o2 soft top, and would like to install some rear speakers, has anyone done it ? is it difficult ? :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI THE BEST WAY TO DO IT IS. MAKE A MDF PARCEL SHELF THAT WILL SIT BEHIND THE REAR SEATS. THEN COVER IT WITH STRETCHY MATERIAL. IT WILL SOUND BETTER THAN HACKING HOLES IN THE PLASTIC TRIM. THERE WAS A HOMEMADE ONE FOR SALE ON EBAY BUT THAT WAS A MONTH AGO.
BEST WISHES GAV

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree, the built in speaker positions are tiny and will never accomodate a dvcent speaker. Same goes for the front positions.

I placed two 120cm units with seperate tweeters in the front, one mounted in the panel under the steering column, the other in the glove box door and they sound far better.

A couple of pods mounted on a home made parcel shelf would be perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Just fitted a set of rears in the suplied rear speaker pods. Basically its a bitch!

Bought the Clarion speaker kit form the local suzuki dealer (£35) expecting this to make the job easier, well you live and learn. The kit has 2 10 cm speakers, two short length patch leads and two long length speaker cables, and the best bit an instruction sheet for fitting them to the front of the car! Lot of bleeding good that was.

Luckily I started on the passanger side rear, after half of an hour scratching my head, cursing forienge motors everywhere and basically wishing I had bought another ford puma instead I managed to realise that the rear seats have to out.

Thats where it got worse, you litterally have to strip out the whole of the rear of the car, the seats the carpets, the side panels, both front door seals, the rear door seal, back plastic trim on the rear door sill, both plastic sill covers on the front doors. when youve done all that then it gets easy, that is till you have to put the lot back again!

Basically to make a very long story short there is a feed from the factory fitted radio to the rear spaekers, it terminates at a connector behind the passenger side rear side panel. The really clever thing is the kit does not contain an appropiate connector for this so you have to either cut off the one in the car or find some connector spades to fit it and use either tape or shrinkwrap to fit. Oh I almost forgot the feed for both sides is in this connector so you still have to run a cable around the car to the rear drivers side.

To sum up, there is absolutely no point in buying the suzuki kit, any 10cm speaker will fit so take ya penny's down the local ICE supplier and I am certain you will get bettter quality for ya £35. Just make sure you buy about 5M of speaker cable at the same time.

Now I am getting almost as bored as when I fitted the speakers so if you have any specific queries then ask and I will reply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Removing the rear wheelarch trims is quite easy once you figure out how (which takes a long time):

1) remove the rear sets

2) unbolt the rear seatbelts from the floor anchor points

3) Remove the rear carpet

4) remove the rear door long thin grey strip of trim from the floor inside the rear door

5) remove the two screws on each side that crew the rear WA trims to the floor

6) Remove the front seatbelt anchor points from the rear WA trim

7) Remove the two 1"x2" rectangular plastic inserts from near the top of the rear WA trim with a screwdriver, they pop out and the holes are used as handles.

8) Pull the rear WA trim hard and it will come off.

I've just ordered a pair of these:

http://www.studiospares.com/productdetails.asp?pid=53981

To fit in the dead space in the rear corners under the top rear seatbelt mounting points. I'll bolt them on with home-made brackets. They'll sound a lot better than the crappy 10cm Suzuki speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts