Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put some junkyard shocks off a 2005 Mazda Tribute onto my 3" lifted tracker. They ride great! Did some snooping online and found that these shocks for a Tribute or a Ford Escape are very reasonable and they fit a lifted tracker real well. (The shocks are around 25" long) FYI

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is it the calmini 3" kit you have? If so did you compare them to the factory calmini shocks as if the are a litle shorter it would limit your travel, if they are the same what year mazda tribute were they from?

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lift I have is semi-homemade, springs off a 4door vitara/sidekick and flipped/extended strut mounts (I think). The shocks came off a '05 Tribute and they are plenty long enough for a 3" lift. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
621 Posts
That certainly helps, wonder if bilstein makes shocks for the Tribute...

Edit...

Looking at rock auto, the suzuki monroe shock is

Compressed Bumper Stop NO
Compressed Length 12.125"
Dust Shield Yes
Dust Shield Material Metal
Extended Bumper Stop Yes
Extended Hydraulic Lockout NO
Extended Length 18.250"
Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing & Sleeve Mount - 12MM Sleeve ID X 1.1/2 Sleeve OAL
Parts Pack(s) P1134
Travel Length 6.125"
Upper Mounting Code Stem Mount - 2.3/8 Stem Length X 3/8"-16 Thread Pitch

While the 2005 ford measures...
Compressed Bumper Stop NO
Compressed Length 15.250"
Dust Shield Yes
Dust Shield Material Metal
Extended Bumper Stop Yes
Extended Hydraulic Lockout NO
Extended Length 25.125"
Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing & Sleeve Mount - 5/8-16MM Sleeve ID X 1.9/16" Sleeve OAL
Parts Pack(s) P1137
Travel Length 9.875"
Upper Mounting Code Stem Mount - 2.3/8 Stem Length X 3/8"-16 Thread Pitch

The OME part number is an N146 as far as I can tell.

Can I get a picture of yours installed!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure I'll get you a pic here soon! Hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Only other thing, they dont mention the size of the shock bodies, do you know if it is larger around than the standard shock? The larger bodied doetsch tech rears typically bind and dent the side of the shock at full droop. If these do not, that means a person can rig up a cheap lift using the older grand prix rear struts and the 2001~2006ish explorer rear shocks. Still would have to use spring spacers or get new springs, but that would work well.

And if you used higher end shocks/struts, you could finally have another option for an offroad worthy suspension.

If it isn't, I'm going grab a junkyard set to test...then a set of OME rears to get rid of this godforsaken set of doetsch tech rears!

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Just so you're aware of it - the OME rears for the Sidekick (N103 - I believe) are considerably larger in diameter than the OE rears - the same may (or may not) hold true for the Tribute/Escape.

When I got my OME rears, they were so much larger that the first thought through my mind was I had been shipped the wrong part, but, the part numbers matched, and I went to - well - let's see if they fit.

Because of my location, shipping incorrect parts back is a headache, and on a couple of occasions I've had vendors (when it's their mistake) ship the correct part out, and abandon the incorrect one, rather than pay the return shipping - if it's my mistake, I have to bite the cost.

Speaking of which - I have a head gasket set for a Nissan VG30E (3.0 V6) to get rid of - it would be a shame to toss it in the trash...

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
With a lift you usually have to trim the lower rear shock brackets to prevent damage to the shocks. With longer shocks you have to ensure that the shock does not end up being used as the bumpstop and that the ball joint on the diff doesn't bind.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I run a three or four inch spacer on my third link, helps that joint.

Did some looking this morning, the real issue might be the +7 extended length. At full droop, with seven extra inches, wonder if the spring can fall out? Two little tabs and some limiting straps would fix that.

The OMEs are indeed larger in diameter than the stockers, the one 's I run, the doetsch techs are larger still.

Everyone said they would bind against the axle and dent the shock body at full droop, but Ive never seen it happen.

To be honest, didnt really care with these. With a new set of good shocks, that would change.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have the 3" lift on my '91 GMC Tracker,rear shocks are Monroe, large bore LT, #32268UMM. Rides as well as a lifted two door Tracker with 31/10x15 tires can be expected to. Still doesn't like wind though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do I upload a pic into the forum???
I'm struggling.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Use photobucket and put a link into a post.

Thats the easiest.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll take some good pics with the tires off this coming weekend. I've got lots of projects in store for the old girl on Saturday! New struts, brake job, and sanding and painting wheels.

·
Registered
621 Posts
bumpity bump

1 - 14 of 14 Posts