Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone,

I just noticed today that my rear-right door's power lock does not function anymore, either via the switch on the driver's door or via the key fob; it just doesn't lock/unlock anymore, and it has to be done manually. All other door locks function properly, and with good power.

I checked the respective fuse, and it is not faulty. Either way, if it were the fuse's fault, all other doors wouldn't work.

I also tried disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes and reconnecting it in case it could be a BCM glitch, but it didn't solve it.

Finally, I removed the door trim and checked connections, and I didn't see any fault with the harness or the wiring.

I conclude that the door lock actuator is completely dead. It does not even make a weak sound when unlocking the doors.

So, it is time to replace it. The problem is that suzuki parts catalog only offers the complete latch assembly (with the actuator included), and it is $200 here.

The only part I should need to change is the actuator, not the whole expensive piece (which would cost even more if I imported it to my location).

My question is: Would it be possible to disassemble the latch and replace the actuator with a universal one? They don't cost more than $10 on eBay.

On this thread, a user managed to do it with his Suzuki, but it was not a Grand Vitara, and I haven't been able to contact him. (last forum connection 2 years ago).

Has anyone had a similar problem? Would it be possible to accomplish?

My other question would be on how to actually remove the door latch once I finally decide to do it. Reading the service manual, it says I should disconnect the door lock motor lead wire, but there are two cables that run to the door handle/lock and I have no idea on how to remove them. (See attached image). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I know it is a long post and it has many questions, but I come to you for we share the same passion for GV's, and because you're very knowledgeable about this car.

Thank you very much in advance. Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It could be the electric motor inside the latch assembly. They're notorious on lots of different vehicles for the brushes wearing out or the worn brush material causing an open circuit. I managed to repair the electric motor on my XL-7 a while back and it's still working perfectly- it had lost electrical contact between the the over current cut out device and the brushes.

I did a comprehensive post on it in the XL-7 or earlier 1G GV section of the forums. I'd be thinking the 2G wouldn't be too different in that area, so searching for it may help you sort your problem. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for your input murcod! Even though I tried what you suggested, the motor was completely dead.

I managed to get my lock working again by taking it to an electrician; what he did was pretty simple.

He took out the whole latch assembly (also the handle and everything). Then he disassembled the latch with a screwdriver, an x-acto knife, and a drill (that was actually the hardest part). Cosmetically damaging the outer casing of the latch is unavoidable, but it's still a piece that is never seen since it sits inside the door, so no problem there.

He then disabled the connection to the existing motor, and just adapted a universal lock motor to the existing latch, sealed up everything again, and connected it. Works like new, it's even a bit more powerful than the rest of the locks :D

I hope this thread helps someone with a similar problem in the future. It is possible to change just the motor instead of spending $200 + on the whole part.

That job was just $30, with parts and installation. It's a steal!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Good work and thanks for posting. I've installed power door locks in a car that lacked them, and also repaired a Pathfinder door lock motor. The Pathfinder's motor had a design flaw which I fixed.

The aftermarket kit I installed on the other car used solenoids instead of motors. Much simpler. The whole kit was only $40. Yet it lasted about 10 years. I had to repair one of the solenoids a couple of times. And once or twice a rod clamp came loose.

One thing you can do to troubleshoot these systems is, if they are identical/compatible, swap the motor/solenoid with one from a working door, and see if the problem goes with the part. Wreckers are a good source of cheap working parts like these.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Thanks a lot for your input murcod! Even though I tried what you suggested, the motor was completely dead.

I managed to get my lock working again by taking it to an electrician; what he did was pretty simple.

He took out the whole latch assembly (also the handle and everything). Then he disassembled the latch with a screwdriver, an x-acto knife, and a drill (that was actually the hardest part). Cosmetically damaging the outer casing of the latch is unavoidable, but it's still a piece that is never seen since it sits inside the door, so no problem there.

He then disabled the connection to the existing motor, and just adapted a universal lock motor to the existing latch, sealed up everything again, and connected it. Works like new, it's even a bit more powerful than the rest of the locks :D

I hope this thread helps someone with a similar problem in the future. It is possible to change just the motor instead of spending $200 + on the whole part.

That job was just $30, with parts and installation. It's a steal!
Wow! Labour must be extremely cheap in Ecuador. That would cost at least US$300 to have done here (and most places wouldn't even be bothered to try doing that, they'd only want to put a new genuine part in.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.