Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Newbie here. I've got a 3 door 2004 Grand Vitara which I've owned since new. To date the vehicle has been super reliable, it even runs the original clutch. Being Down Under, the vehicle is right hand drive. I have a minor electrical issue with the indicators. The rear passenger side indicator lamp no longer has any voltage, so I'm assuming that the wiring loom has some sort of break between that point and the front side guard indicator globe, which is working fine. The drivers side indicators globes all work perfectly. What I'm wondering is how do you remove the wiring loom on the passenger side of the vehicle so as to inspect it and discover where the break in the cable is? Or do you guys suggest simply running another cable to the rear connector which I believe can be found where the tyre jack is? How would a person go about doing that (like where is the easiest point to begin and end that replacement wire?) Dunno, but I'd appreciate any advice. Chris

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
Get in the car and starting at the back passenger side, remove the interior paneling, the door sill plate and the passenger side kick panel - follow the harness up over the wheel arch and along the edge of the carpet.

Do NOT attempt to remove the harness from the vehicle - follow the wire based on insulation color and backprobe each connector until you find where the voltage is lost - that will give you an idea of where the break is (it's likely to be a corroded connector).

If I recall correctly, Australian models have the turn signals in the rear bumper, and that cable comes out the left side and runs across with connectors behind the lamps - that's where my initial focus would be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi fordem,

Thanks for the reply. I will do this work over the weekend - unless it is raining heavily. I tested the voltage at the trailer socket too, and likewise that was dead for the passenger side indicators. It's an interesting problem, and I have no idea where the fault may be. Do you happen to know if the side guard indicator wires tee into that wiring loom cable or go back closer to the front of the car in the loom - in explanation: Is it a single circuit down the side of the vehicle for the indicators, or multiple wires for each globe terminating at some sort of junction near to the dashboard?

And you are correct. The turn signals are in the rear bumper and two screws hold the assembly to the bumper. Simple enough, unless there is no power.

I will do as you say with the harness and not remove it. I've got some good contact cleaning agent which can remove corrosion: Deoxit

Cheers. Chris

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,905 Posts
Make sure you use some liquid tape to heal any holes you may poke into the wires, if you dont corrosion will be your friend in a couple of seasons..

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
There are multiple harnesses throughout the vehicle - the left rear indicator & the trailer socket will be on the left floor harness, the left side guard indicator & left front indicator will be on the left front harness, which comes through the firewall under the glove box, those two will mate with the dash harness somewhere under the dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi aquanaut,

Thanks, and good call. It depends whether it is a break in the wiring loom somewhere or a corroded connector. I guess I'll find out. If it's a break in the loom, I'd be tempted to patch into the wires and then replace the faulty section rather than add a joiner at that point, but I don't really know what is going on in there. It may be possible that a rat has somehow chewed into the wire somewhere. Had a rat chew into an air-conditioner hose in the engine bay long ago. Not sure it survived that.

Hi fordem,

Thanks for the good advice, and that was sort of what I was thinking it may be like given the front and side indicators work and that circuit would go forward into the engine bay and then back to the front guard. Hmm. I'll put some photos up as I go as that might be useful for other readers. Hope I don't break any of the internal panels trying to remove them. They're eighteen years old, but appear to be in reasonable condition. My daily driver is a 2019 1.5 Swift so there's no hurry to take everything apart and then put it all back together again.

Cheers. Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts