Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, first time poster here. I have a 2012 Grand Vitara and have noticed that the gas hatch strut which keeps the rear hatch open has a lot of play (the ball and socket joint) which I think is the cause of this rattling noise when driving on gravel roads. Is there any way to remove this so I can grease it? There is no C-clip which I am used to in order to remove hood struts on other cars in the past. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
They are a pressed in component, not serviceable. Tie a rag around it to stop movement and drive and confirm this is the issue and not the spare tyre cover rattling on the door.

You can inject some grease into it around the ball but it wont last long. The strut usually keeps enough pressure on it when door is closed to stop them rattling

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are a pressed in component, not serviceable. Tie a rag around it to stop movement and drive and confirm this is the issue and not the spare tyre cover rattling on the door.

You can inject some grease into it around the ball but it wont last long. The strut usually keeps enough pressure on it when door is closed to stop them rattling
Thank you very much for the reply. Yea I am now starting to think it is not the issue. Here is a video of the noise. It only comes on with bumpy gravel road and not with offroading at slower speeds/bigger rocks. It sounds like it is only coming from one side. Any clue?

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Good vid, but hard to tell from the noise, but it does sound like a spare tyre cover / backing cover clunk.
take spare tyre off the back, leave cover in the garage at home, toss tyre in the back of the car (guaranteed you will need it if you don't take it) remove the plastic rear tyre cover (2? or 3? screws) and then go for a drive again. That will at least rule that out

I have chased down 2 rattles, one was the cover (one of the foam blocks behind the tyre had moved so it was rattling) and I have found the actual plastic door inner cover was rattling, I jammed a bit of folded paper in it just to add some tension and that stopped it. Mine inner cover rattle took some tracking down, mine was on the catch side about 1/2 way down the door.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok will do thanks very much. I will keep you posted. I should be going out tomorrow so will see if the noise stops

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
i know how frustrating it can be, it could also be a stone jammed on top of the muffler, the diff, or the fuel tank. Process of elimination is the only way. Like i said, jam rags around the strut as well. Do one thing at a time so you know what you have changed. Take tools, drive the bit of track, hear the noise, stop, remove or pack something, drive it again.
remoev anything hidden in the cavity under the boot space, even that lid can rattle. Check jack is tight and secure, altho thats left hand side. Tool pouch is another annoying metallic rattle i have had.

Good luck, and let us know what you find

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
That rattle sounds like a multi part rattle. ie more than one thing like several tools loose rather than a single item. And like whatever is causing it might be smaller rather than larger. But that is just a guess. Rattles can be confusing and I hate them.

·
Super Moderator
12,869 Posts
The gas struts are replaceable. The most common source of rattle on the rear door of a third gen is the spare tire cover - remove it and take a drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know how frustrating it can be, it could also be a stone jammed on top of the muffler, the diff, or the fuel tank. Process of elimination is the only way. Like i said, jam rags around the strut as well. Do one thing at a time so you know what you have changed. Take tools, drive the bit of track, hear the noise, stop, remove or pack something, drive it again.
remoev anything hidden in the cavity under the boot space, even that lid can rattle. Check jack is tight and secure, altho thats left hand side. Tool pouch is another annoying metallic rattle i have had.

Good luck, and let us know what you find

Hey, so I found the source. It is the side airbag on the seat. Any idea how to fix the noise/remove the airbag to fix the noise. Here is a video:

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
and its loose...... Mine are rigidly fixed, you need to delve into that seat and tighten the air bag mounts. You can't remove the airbag without doing some nasty fudge work to stop the SRS system from bringing up a warning light meaning you fail your safety inspection.
SRS is yellow plug, you can unplug the seat to remove it and work on it, will bring up a warning light and a code but it should reset when you plug it back in and restart car.
BE CAREFUL these things go off easily and can cause severe injury. Keep it facing away from you at all times, and ground yourself to the seat metalwork before doing anything. Static can trigger them.
The plug has an inbuilt shorting bar to prevent accidental activation, but don't trust it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a squeak, not a rattle !
Yea I meant squeak. It is definitely what happens when I am going over bumpy roads. I tested it and if I put pressure on airbag when driving the noise goes away. The other rattle was the arm test which I fixed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and its loose...... Mine are rigidly fixed, you need to delve into that seat and tighten the air bag mounts. You can't remove the airbag without doing some nasty fudge work to stop the SRS system from bringing up a warning light meaning you fail your safety inspection.
SRS is yellow plug, you can unplug the seat to remove it and work on it, will bring up a warning light and a code but it should reset when you plug it back in and restart car.
BE CAREFUL these things go off easily and can cause severe injury. Keep it facing away from you at all times, and ground yourself to the seat metalwork before doing anything. Static can trigger them.
The plug has an inbuilt shorting bar to prevent accidental activation, but don't trust it.
Thanks for this. Do you have any clue where the SRS plug is? Do I need to remove the seat? Also anany clue how to remove the airbags to tighten the mounts? Do they just pop out?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lifting the seat cover from the back, from the back, accessing it from below, you reach that area with some difficulty. This is where the airbag is hooked, with a kind of hook over a hole in the seat frame. I put some assembly grease on it and for a while the noise disappeared, but now it's back again.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Thanks for this. Do you have any clue where the SRS plug is? Do I need to remove the seat? Also anany clue how to remove the airbags to tighten the mounts? Do they just pop out?
Unplug, it's under the seat and obvious. Mine doesnt move at all. Take the seat out, its probably easier to work ln

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unplug, it's under the seat and obvious. Mine doesnt move at all. Take the seat out, its probably easier to work ln
Thank you to everyone who helped out. I went in through the back seat to the airbag and found the area that was squeaking. I greased the area up good with thick grease and voila! Noise gone. I really appreciate the help, I wouldn't have been able to do it without you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts