Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: So I posted a post about a clunk towards the front of my 02 xl7. I was wrong. After some searching and lifting the suv off the ground I isolated my problem. It is in the rear end of the vehicle. If the rear tires are off the ground only the right rear spins. Which is normal. While the right rear is spinning im getting a clunk from either the wheel, the axle or from inside the differential. Its hard to pinpoint. If you stop the right rear from turning and make the left rear start pulling the sound stops. So now that I have more info who can help me out.

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
You also posted about needing rear axle seal info, so have you had it apart? :huh:

What does the differential gear oil look like?

Driveshaft and "U" joints OK?

Run the engine / drivetrain in gear, on stands and better isolate the sound for us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I haven't had time to change the seal. It is just weeping not a bunch of oil just slight. Work has had me busy with 14 hour days. I should of stated that I had the vehicle up on stands in drive. The right rear wheel spins in drive. When you stop the rear tire which I did with a big pry bar between it and the ground the left rear starts spinning and the sound stops. I cannot isolate it anymore then somewhere from the right rear axle at the end to the diff. If I stick my ear up to the diff it sounds the same as if I stick it up and the middle of the axle or the end. Hard to isolate it anymore. I am not good with differentials sorry. I have never even had one apart. Also it is the left rear axle weeping and not the right. I will check the fluid level tomorrow but it is easter so I probably will have to put the axle seal off till next weekend. Thanks Max any info is always appreciated. Just bought this and spent almost all of our saved money so my wife could have something nicer.
It only has 97,000 original miles and is super clean. No engine oil leaks and barely any rust under the vehicle. I thought I did good. Now im panicking cause we don't have the money to replace a rear end if it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts