Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just out changing a flat rear tire, and when i pulled it off i noticed oil on the inside of the rim, leaking from around the drums. smells like diff oil. but i also noticed its leaking from the other side as well. is it caused by the same problem or is it 2 different seals that coincidentally decided to cark it at the same time?

·
Registered
55 Posts
i just got done fighting that battle. It's the wheel seals. I got them 4 about $4 each from auto zone but if your going to take it apart make sure the bearings are good too. I replaced my seals and they blew again because the bearings were shot. PetroWorks sells the whole kit with bearing and the inner and outer seal for about $61 including shiping per side. I dont know if you have takin the axle shafts out yet eather, but it's VERY easy! It's 4 bolts and a brake line on each side. It took about 25 min to remove both sides. Then all you need is the bearing and inner seal pressed on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, I agree. When the wheel bearing goes the axle moves around, eating the seal.
It _will also_ wear the axle at the bearing and seal point if not changed soon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok for someone who's never done this sort of thing before, is it easy enough to do? i am a quick learner... and is there any special tools needed to do the seals and bearings?

·
Registered
55 Posts
ok for someone who's never done this sort of thing before, is it easy enough to do? i am a quick learner... and is there any special tools needed to do the seals and bearings?
I dont really know of any way thats smart to put them on other than having them pressed on at a shop. I would look for a drivetrain shop or a machine shop. Anywhere that will have a press really. Most shops will do it for like $50 atleast where i am. and puling the shafts is VERY easy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's been quite some time but I seem to remember using a pipe about a few feet long and a bottle jack to put it on, and for removing it... I don't remember. maybe two pipe, one on each side of the plates. I used to use a steel doorway but I don't recommend that. :p
maybe if you are going to do more than a few something like this may be a good investment...
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

For most of my stuff I had a shop next door to work do it for free, but I also did their photocopies for free. It was a trade that cost me more than them but it was handy for picking their brain at times. It takes all of about a minute to do it...

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I use a cutoff wheel to remove the rear bearings, you just have to make sure you don't knick the shaft. Use a hammer and chisel to split it the last few millimeters. I used to use a pipe and hammer to put them on, but then my mother in law got me a press for the garage one Christmas... With presents like that, I can't complain about my mother in law... :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
or maybe that was the time I used a stack of 4X4's w/a hole drilled in one, with the bottle jack under my F250... na, that may have been the rotors...
There are many ways to do this if you don't have one and it's 2:30 am and you have to get to work in the morning. I don't miss those days... One car for everything... sucked.

Just do not try to beat the new ones on with just a hammer. You _will_ screw it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts