Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went to replace the rear calipers on my 09 SX4. Using Raybestos rebuilt calipers. Found the mounting bolts are slightly smaller than found on the original (marked 12) caliper. Anybody know why there are two sizes and since they didn't come with the caliper I don't know what size I need. Raybestos part #'s RC12151 and RC12152 (look the same and stamping is the same). Former Suzi dealer didn't know either.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Parts list shows the original as 10mm dia, 25mm long and they will be fine pitched thread. Surely the don't take 8mm bolts :confused:. Maybe they are not metric :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I can't understand where the size 12 bolts came from. Car was purchased new and this was the first time I went to replace the rear calipers (110K). I figured 10 was the next size down and that was my goal for tomorrow. Thanks again! I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sx4 rear calipers

Here's what I found regarding the two different size mounting bolts for the rear calipers. First, you can't buy rear caliper bolts; front all you want. I've gone to the former Suzi dealer (bolt part is not even shown or a part # on their microfishe), aftermarket on-line suzi parts suppliers, Dorman site, Carlson site, Pep Boys, Napa, etc. etc. Nobody lists rear caliper bolts (front yes). If anyone knows where I can buy them (new or used) I'd appreciate it. I landed up having to salvage my old calipers which I had hoped to replace (at 100K). I now have two completel rebuilt Raybestos (no help from Raybestos either)loaded rear calipers of no use. If you need rear calipers I would order them from a local supplier and take the mounting bolts with you to make sure they are correct as the others you will find are not available. Once again, if anyone knows where to get the rear bolts I need I'd appreciate it. The bolts I have on the old calipers I re-used are marked 12. The new calipers had a smaller size probably around 10. I opened pack after pack in local parts places and none of the 10 would work.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
So we still don't know what size bolts the raybestos units take. The parts list shows the originals as https://catalogs.ssg.asia/suzuki/?lang=en#bWFya2V0SWQ9PXx8c3Q9PTYwfHxzdHM9PXsiMTAiOiJNYXJrZXQiLCIyMCI6IkFsbCBSZWdpb25zIiwiMzAiOiJTWDQiLCI0MCI6IlJXNDIwIChFMDMsRTMzOk1ZIDIwMDgpIiwiNTAiOiJCcmFrZSIsIjYwIjoiMTcyIC0gUkVBUiBXSEVFTCBCUkFLRSAoV1wvUkVBUiBESVNDIEJSQUtFKSJ9fHxtb2RlbElkPT02fHxlcXVpcG1lbnRJZD09MTc0ODV8fHBvc0ZpbHRlcj09WUVBUi8wOCBNT0RFTHx8Z3JvdXBJZD09NDN8fHN1Ymdyb3VwSWQ9PTQ2NzY0 10x25mm and I would bet they are fine pitched so not normally readily available at most stores. Plus they need to be of the correct strength given what they are doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SX4 rear caliper mounting bolts

After all this the only thing I can think of is these mounting brackets; though similar are for another vehicle. I have two of these 09 sx4's (my son and I) and the bolts on that one are also embossed with the number 12. I checked my records and had replaced the rear calipers on the other vehicle in 2016 (about 20K ago). I had no problem at that time. Something is wrong with the mounting brackets. Now I have the problem of sending them back to Rock Auto. I'll do it even if I only get my core charge back. A lot of work, effort and frustration went into what should have been a simple job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts