Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a complete noob to cars and i just noticed the rear bumper of my 2007 Grand Vitara is falling down. Im not sure if this is gradual or was caused by one discreet event. I just noticed while I was changing tires, so I guess its not critical but it does worry me.

I looked up the 2007 service manual and checked if all the screws where on. However, I was only able to see the screws on the back door. I suspect the side fasteners may be the culprit, as the detachment is most evident below the rear lights, as I show in the pictures.

Is this something I can fix by myself or am I obligated to go to the auto repair? If so, if I take off the bumper and assemble it again would it likely fix the issue? Any kind of resource (books, article) on the specific of chassis, bumpers will be of great help.
IMG_7724.jpeg
IMG_7725.jpeg
IMG_7726.jpeg
IMG_7727.jpeg

At last, is this problem potentially dangerous? (Is it possible that the bumper falls off while i'm driving?).

Many thanks in advance,

John

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
if the screws just inside the door at the rear are still tight then it can't fall off, or down. what happens if you try "lifting" a corner, theres a couple of plastic clips behind that the bumper connects onto, you may have just popped it off the clips hitting something. Item 3 in the attached file. Been here, done this myself.
You may have to remove the anchoring screws to get it to move enough to clip back on.

Admit it, you hit the rear off road didn't you? I did the same before i had the towbar fitted

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,566 Posts
First - I'm going to move your thread in the second gen (99~05) forum, even though you say it's a 2007, that body style is second gen, you're probably somewhere in South or Central America, where the second gens were available after 2005.

Second - the bumper is not adjustable - it bolts into place and that is it - you're also looking at a relatively flexible plastic "skin" that sits over the steel bumper structure. Removal is not difficult, but it is a fairly involved time consuming process and you run the risk of breaking the plastic clips that hold the skin in place.

If you want to have a go, there is a sticky thread at top of the second gen forum section that has downloadable factory manuals, check section 9.

Lastly - it's extremely unlikely that it will fall off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts