Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spare is mounted on a swing-away mount attached to the rear bumper. I need to get in and out of the rear cargo area often and the spare is a royal pain in the butt.

Has anyone ever seen the spare tire replaced with a metal basket? It occured to me that not only would getting rid of the spare improve access, but if replaced with a basket, there would be things that I could carry without even needing to open the rear tailgate/plastic window.

I assume the basket could be made attached directly to the tail gate so that tailgate could be opened at any time.

Thoughts/recommendations'/sources appreciated.

Bruce

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have seen baskets that mount to a reciever hitch and ones that attach outboard of the spare tire through the center of the rim and ones that attach above the spare tire. It allows a person to have the spare tire and a basket both.

The basket attached directly to the tailgate would work as long as a person didn't overload it.

Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier

RH2004 - Rock Rack | Discount Jeep Parts

Can't find a link for a spare tire mounted rack but here is a bike carrier mounted in the same way a rack could be.
Rugged Ridge: 11237.10 - Spare Tire Mount Bike Carrier

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, you guys are fantastic!

I think the hitch mounted carrier will work best for me--cheaper, too.

I already have an WARN winch permanently attached to my rear hitch. Do you know if it is possible to install a second hitch so that I can use this carrier?

Thanks again!
Bruce

·
Registered
149 Posts

I already have an WARN winch permanently attached to my rear hitch. Do you know if it is possible to install a second hitch so that I can use this carrier?

Thanks again!
Bruce
Can you post any pics of your current setup ?
That might help with suggestions on how to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
12,345 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to thank everyone for your input and terrific ideas.

I decided to deal with this in two steps: First, I have gone to a local metal fabricator who is building a "basket" to replace the rear spare. The basket will be mounted on the same swing out arm as the spare was. He is also building exterior brackets to hold my chain saw, shovel, and other tools.

Depending on how fully that satisfies my needs, I may then buy the carrier using a dual hitch adapter.

Again, you guys are great.

Bruce

·
Registered
160 Posts

Thanks again!
Bruce
Wow, that hitch mounted carrier is going to have a lot of leverage and looks perfect to tweak up the rear end / frame if you load it up and go offroad.

My hitch is part of my rear bumper, and the stock bumper mounts were not strong enough to even support the weight of the 32" spare tire when bouncing around offroad. I had to weld some plates inside the bumper mounts to beef them up, and I also reinforced the bumper by connecting the top of the bumper to the two body frame mount points.

Now it's pretty sturdy but I would still be worried about using that hitch mounted carrier unless it was only loaded with very light items, or not taken on bumpy roads.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I want to thank everyone for your input and terrific ideas.

I decided to deal with this in two steps: First, I have gone to a local metal fabricator who is building a "basket" to replace the rear spare. The basket will be mounted on the same swing out arm as the spare was. He is also building exterior brackets to hold my chain saw, shovel, and other tools.

Depending on how fully that satisfies my needs, I may then buy the carrier using a dual hitch adapter.

Again, you guys are great.

Bruce
What are you going to do with the spare tire?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts