Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. I am new to the forum and the tracker industry. spring is upon us and would love to be able to take out my new to me 1996 geo tracker 2 door 5 speed. I have many upgrades in mind but am most interested in knowing what everyone is doing about are rear backing plate problem that everyone seems to have with these rigs. I am considering on doing a rear disk conversion from low range off road but it is a little excessive to do. if there was a way I can just buy a backing plate (dust shield) then I would be better off. I know there is a lot of threads on it but I cant find any answers. and maybe there is none but thought I would at least try. I am looking for rear driver side as mine is completely wrote off beyond repair!!! so anyone with some advice would be great!!!!

·
Super Moderator
24,471 Posts
I believe that they are quite difficult to find - one of the posters here actually had to make his own. You may want to see if it's available in the Suzuki catalog:
Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store
I really don't know how common this issue is - other than rust, etc, which is an issue everywhere - not too many posts on the forum for this.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Personally I wouldn't bother with them because they tend to trap stones, I've cut off the bottom of my front guards to try and stop this happening. With a rear disc conversion most people just cut the stock backing plates down to keep the spacing correct.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I modified a set from a chevy pickup to fit my 89 Tracker they are hard to find for the older ones even at a scrap yard. You should be able to find them fot a 96...disc brake conversion is too rich for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure how you could just cut it up. mine is completely ruined I have nothing to attach the brake cylender to..
I know the disk swap is pricey but if anyone has done the conversion what site did you use and what was needed and prices. any links and pics would be appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
987 Posts
You can't just cut up the backing plate you have to replace it so all the brake parts fasten on. I used the centre from a Suzuki one and welded chevy one on to it. Nice to have them not rusted so you don't worry about axel coming out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any pics or part numbers of what you used. will the same thing you did on your 89 work on my 96? and yea would be nice to not worry bout axles or rust. if I can succeed on the brake build I will build a few extras. everyone in my area are having same problem.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't take many pictures I just cut up the old backing plate and welded the outer part of truck one to it. I gave it a good coat of por15 so hopefully won't happen again. You should be able to find plates for yours the early ones were a different design.

http://lehmansuzukipartsonline.com/...roup=BRAKE+COMPONENTS&component=Backing+plate

I just noticed you are in NB there are a couple of Suzuki dealers they should be able to order the part.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
not sure how you could just cut it up. mine is completely ruined I have nothing to attach the brake cylender to..
I know the disk swap is pricey but if anyone has done the conversion what site did you use and what was needed and prices. any links and pics would be appreciated. thank you
I was referring to the disc conversion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts