Suzuki Forums banner

Rear axle swap..Worth it?

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ack 
#1 ·
I have a 1988 and wondering if it was worth swapping the rear axle from the 1988 to a 1988.5? I do know the 1988.5 has better gearing but would it be worth the swap?

#2 ·
"Better gearing" meaning what? :huh:

Stock diameter tires?

How do you intend to USE the vehicle?

And if you are 4WD, the front and rear axle ratios MUST match.

And IN what? You are in the combo Suzuki Jimny, Sierra & Samurai Forum section. ;)

#4 ·
So final drive ratio on a 2WD then...

to accelerate better and have a better top speed.
You can't have it both ways. It's a one or the other situation. :(

And what model? :huh:

What engine too?

You might want to consider swapping in a more powerful engine in order to get what you desire.

#6 · (Edited)
An axle swap from any Samurai model year to another will have absolutely no effect on performance. It is a lot easier to just change the differential instead of the entire axle. All the stock differential ratios for Samurais are the same - 3.73.

If you have a pre-88.5 transmission, you have the best choice in a final drive ratio as it is the lowest.

That said, the best way to improve a Samurai's performance is to either:

Rebuild the existing engine and carburetor and add a larger-diameter exhaust.

Rebuild the existing engine, replace the carburetor with a CV (harley-davidson) carb and add a larger diameter exhaust.

Install a 1.6 engine complete with the OEM fuel injection system that the engine is equipped with.

A variation of the above.

I have a 1.6 8-valve with a MY-Side CV carb and a 2.25" exhaust. I also have 4.625 front ring and pinion gears from a Tracker/Sidekick and 30-inch BFG AT-KO tires. 23MPG and "no downshifting" performance on the Interstate.

I hope that this helps!

#8 ·
Read the second sentence in the first paragraph of my post, above.

You can swap a set of front axle ring and pinions out of a 1st-gen Tracker or Sidekick to change the differential ratio. Swapping the the entire aluminum differential housing is also possible but can get complicated.

A gear calculator (search calculator at Ack's FAQ - see link in signature, below) will give you an idea of what kind of changes to expect.

You should work on getting your engine in good running condition before considering any mods to your drivetrain.

I hope that this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.