Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been through the rear axle thread that Max made up, but have an issue with my gv maybe someone can help me with. My '00 gv 2.5 maunual 5 speed has a salvaged title. The rear wheel bearings went out within 300 miles of buying it from a local dealer. They did the right thing and split the difference with me. They had it about a month because of personnel problems the mechanic who's lift it was on was having, and they couldn't source the parts properly. Eventually they did and I was a happy camper. That lasted about 5000 miles. I have since noticed oil at both rear wheels again. I don't drive it much mainly in fields and such. I want to make it my daily driver again but don't want to pay the dealer to fix it again. I got it jacked up and noticed cut wiring on the axle. So I am assuming it is a complete swap from another vehicle. That would explain the parts mix up.

Since I don't need abs, can I use new parts for a non abs axle and convert it to such? Parts are cheaper. I'm not sure if the seal sizes and whatnot are the same. Can anyone lend some insight on this?

I also believe it started leaking because of the tip about putting a bead of sealant somewhere on the inner seal. I'm sure the dealership didn't know about it. They are a dodge dealer.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just did this to mine. I have the abs axle and I just bought the bearings for the non abs because they are cheaper. the only difference in the bearings are the sleeves that go on after the bearings. As for the seals they are the same by what I can tell. I did find out that there are 2 seals per side. One is an axle seal and is inside the axle tube. The other seal is the one on the backing plate that is the first thing on the axle shaft with the bolts to hold it to the axle. That you can get thru rock auto or a chevy dealer and prob suzuki dealer too. Hope that helps

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I should add that if the rear bearings are still good, I will only replace the inner seals. I'll have to look at the pics max posted to check out the sleeves you mentioned. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.