Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Suzuki friends. I haven't posted in a while since I've been busy with other cars and my Suzuki has been running very well - until now - LOL

Was attempting to check the fluid level in the rear differential but found the fill plug impossible to remove. The fill plug uses a 3/8 inch square drive recess but I could not budge it with a long 3/8 drive rachet so I used a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 3/8 adapter but the adapter twisted so I then used an adpater for an impact wrench. I even tried my MAPP gas torch to no avail.

The 3/8 recess in the fill plug just rounded out so it appears that I'm going to have to chisle the thing out but before I do that I'd like to have the replacement plug in my hand.

So does anyone know the diameter and pitch of the threads of this plug. Will attempt to get a new plug with a hex head.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Max - thanks as always. I read the post you mentioned before I posted. By the way, the fill plug in my rig is not a pipe plug but rather it has a sealing flange and a sealing washer. Thanks for your help -

Jake

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
not a pipe plug
I'm with you. ;)

Most folks assimilate "pipe" plugs with a taper. The only reason I mention this is because if one has the need to tap out, manufacture or purchase a new plug, they'll find that "pipe" threads are spec'd tapered AND straight, only to confuse us. :D

Case in point, the fill is straight pipe threads, the drain tapered. But like you point out, the gasket is the giveaway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The fill plug uses a 3/8 inch square drive recess but I could not budge it with a long 3/8 drive rachet so I used a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 3/8 adapter but the adapter twisted so I then used an adpater for an impact wrench. I even tried my MAPP gas torch to no avail.

The 3/8 recess in the fill plug just rounded out so it appears that I'm going to have to chisle the thing out but before I do that I'd like to have the replacement plug in my hand.
Just for future reference, that plug is not technically a 3/8 square drive size. It is a 10 mm square socket that you need...that will prevent you from rounding out the inside as it is a much tighter fit. The socket is available on amazon.com. I'm not sure if it's in the thread that max gave but just thought i'd add that in. I also had a stuck plug in my rear diff and i was able to get it out with pb blaster, heat, and the right socket

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Max – CSDavies - hey thanks both!

Looking at the dimensions of the sealing washer being 20.1 MM – then I guess the diameter of the plug shaft must be 20.0 MM.

Does anyone know if the front differential fill plug is the same size as the rear differential fill plug? The front diff plug has a 17MM hex head on it - or ar least mine does.

I did surf the site again and noticed the information regarding the 10MM size and that the recess is not actually 3/8 inch. Well, too late for me now. Me dumb!

Thanks again guys -

Jake -

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Does anyone know if the front differential fill plug is the same size as the rear differential fill plug? The front diff plug has a 17MM hex head on it - or ar least mine does.
Your front diff plugs should both look like this if stock, and they are tapered thread (flange-less) in design.

So I'm not sure what you have installed there.

That square plug sizing is mentioned in my first link. ;)
The correct 10 MM size tool is ever so slightly larger than 3/8", which makes for little removal significance.

YOUR plug is so seized that neither would have made much difference, FWIW.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your front diff plugs should look like this, if stock.

So I'm not sure what you have installed there.

That square plug sizing is mentioned in my first link. ;)
The correct MM size tool is ever so slightly larger than 3/8", which makes for little removal significance.

YOUR plug is so seized that neither would have made much difference, FWIW.
Does anyone know the thread size and pitch of the 09168-20003 plug?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does anyone know the thread size and pitch of the 09168-20003 plug?
Anyway, I came to the conclusion that these things aren't that hard to find, I can just buy all new plugs, and since there's a special gasket, I'm going to get those too and do it properly.

My question now has become.. is it the same plug for fill + drain, front + back? I need...

(4x) 09248-20003 plugs
(4x) 09168-20003 gaskets

For a complete set of diff plugs? I did a couple hours research and was not able to come to a conclusion of this.

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
My question now has become.. is it the same plug for fill + drain, front + back? I need...

(4x) 09248-20003 plugs
(4x) 09168-20003 gaskets

For a complete set of diff plugs?
No.

The front fill & drain and rear drain are all 09246-16010 (tapered) plugs.

The rear fill only is a 09248-20003 (straight thread / flanged head) plug
and uses gasket 09168-20003

Reactions: Renntag

·
Registered
67 Posts
No.

The front fill & drain and rear drain are all 09246-16010 (tapered) plugs.

The rear fill only is 09248-20003 (straight thread) plug
and uses gasket 09168-20003
You sir are my hero.

Reactions: Renntag

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Glad to help. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Many thanks again to Max !!

These part numbers made all the difference. I have been searching for this part for a week.

It looks like it crosses to drain plugs on suzuki motorcycles from the 70s and up.
Prices on this are all over the map. One vendor wanted to surcharge me $20 because of my location in the USA.
I reached out to a vendor I have dealt with before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
New part and tool arrived.

The 10mm square drive socket is a very tight fit. The 3/8" drive square is just a bit loose but an adequate fit in my opinion. If I had to do it over, I wouldnt bother buying the 10mm square drive. I had to wait for the new fill plug and I think the socket set (8 and 10mm) was 14.25 shipped here in the US via (Ebay).

It was difficult locating a vendor for the fill plug that would ship to me for a reasonable fee. Due to my zip code, one wanted to apply a $20 surcharge on top of a $14.35 shipping cost. They only wanted $4 for the plug and $1.30 for the gasket. They refused to waive the fee.

The vendors I went with were very easy to deal with.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Good going! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts