Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
whilst doing the suspension upgrade to my late 2016 Ignis I noticed quite a lot of corrosion on the rear beam axle, certainly more than i'd expect on a three year old car. I came to the Ignis via the Fiat Panda (169) which was a fantastic car but the model had a known issue with rear axle beams rotting through specifically around the spring cups, necessitating replacement. I'd recommend anyone who's planning on keeping their Ignis for the long term to treat/paint/ underseal/etc their rear axle to reduce the chances of it occurring. I dread to think what a replacement axle would cost with Suzuki pricing and I cant imagine there will be an abundance of Ignis' in scrapyards to source a replacement. Just a heads up.

Cheers.
vch.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The fuel tank mounts are basically thin sheet metal and to minimise surface rust taking hold - it would be wise to apply a coat of Waxoyl or similar

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The paint on the axle was painfully thin and the surface rust was worst on the trailing arm portion just rear of the pivot point on both sides, no doubt from the water spray off the wheels. It's not a good sign when the car has only done 15K miles though. To be honest I was surprised at how the bodywork has so many nooks and crannies created by tooling holes/ lightening holes on the underside, all just waiting to get crud in them. The paint doesn't appear that great there either.

·
Registered
503 Posts
This is what I used as soon as I had the car mostly cos it is so blooming easy to put on and it is great stuff.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Gave mine a good wash yesterday and the corrosion is only very light. However my flaming drums are looking tatty again. They’ll need another Hammerite session soon.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am tempted to put a cover on mine as it is going nowhere - it's a cover I bought ages ago for winter protection and I never used it - yet! Round here the rain and air leave sandy blobs all over it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Having spent a lot on two covers I barely used (one for a BMW 3 series touring, the other for our M135i hatch) because they don’t like strong wind, I gave up!

I just wash them regularly.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Even worse, I had an Argos one on a car about 6 years ago and it stuck to the paint. It is partly why I didn't use this one.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Scuffing is a point because of the frequent sea winds here.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Same here. 200 metres from the North Atlantic. West and Nw winds come straight in and batter the house then cover it in salt! The downside of sea views..

·
Registered
503 Posts
You get the winds badly on the west coast. Easterly winds here tend to be warmer. lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
We like Easterlies; offshore so good surf. But they make a weird noise as they pass over the sunroom; a sort of buzzing. In NE winds there’s a nearby house that makes a whistling noise! Audio wind socks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
When the wind is up the sea sounds like the M6 I used to live near to.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Gave mine a good wash yesterday and the corrosion is only very light. However my flaming drums are looking tatty again. They’ll need another Hammerite session soon.
Calliper paint is probably better - but expensive. If you want the drums black - barbecue or stove paint is cheaper and gives a nice satin finish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts