Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 GV two days ago. and stupidly enough there is problems with it.

This is what the suzuki dealer wrote:

Oil leak rear main
Gear shift seems loose (requires further inspection)

Repair02

Warning light on dash- found multiple fault codes
P0670 glow plug - circuit
P242A- Turb boost
P0571- Brake switch circuit

There were a few other minor things such as (windscreen wipers, driver belt/tensioner) and apparently the car should not have passed roadworthy. Being a girl I put trust in this roadworthy and the car had only done 200KM since the roadworthy to when it got inspected. Im thoroughly dissappointed to be honest.

Has anyone ever encountered SOO much stuff wrong before or any of these faults?! Any advice on what to do now?

·
Super Moderator
13,766 Posts
The mistake has already been made, time to move on - just so you don't make the same mistake again, it was not taking a mechanic you trust (or a friend with some mechanical experience) to inspect/test drive the car before buying.

Always assume the seller in not being up front with you - and any warning light on the dash is bad news.

Yes - I've seen cars with more wrong than that, it comes from neglect, people not bothering to fix the problems when they arise - I've bought cars with more faults than that - what I do is make a list of the faults and use it to negotiate the price down - the last car I bought had parts missing from the brakes and the steering, the entire suspension was shot, the ABS light was on indicating an ABS issue, and there were something like eight different fault codes for the transmission alone and another two from the ABS - it was almost literally an accident looking for a place to happen - but it was cheap, and I will readily admit that I didn't catch all the issues on inspection (I "missed" the missing steering & brake parts).

How do you move forward? Well, start by recognizing that the dealer is usually the most expensive place to get a car fixed, what you need is a competent, trust-worthy mechanic, one who won't take you for a ride just because you're a woman.

Get an estimate for the work, decide if you want to keep the car, and then move forward.

Suzukis in my experience are great vehicles, and for the most part reliable if properly serviced - decide if you really want/need an SUV, specifically a diesel powered SUV - they are more expensive to purchase & maintain than a comparable gasoline model, and you won't see the benefit of the diesel unless you're planning on long possibly off road trips.

Ohh - almost forgot - I still have that car, almost three years now - I've already spent more on repairs than I paid for it (which wasn't difficult because I really didn't pay much for it), and so far I don't regret buying it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Jayde,

The leaking rear main is a common fault on the diesel. You'll find plenty of threads for it in this forum.

Loose gear shift a bit hard to diagnose without actually driving. Normally they're a little notchy. How many Ks has the car done?

Drive belt tensioner pulley (and the rest on the drive belt) I'm pretty sure are a service item due for changeover every 60 or 75,000kms or so. Might also be worthwhile checking is the drive belt tensioner pulley is plastic or metal. If plastic, I believe there was a recall on these so you should be able to get it changed over to the metal type gratis.

Haven't come across those fault codes before but someone else on the forum may have.

My advice would be to report whoever issued the roadworthry certificate to the relevant authority with a copy of both your roadworthy and the dealers assessment. Where abouts are you located?

Hang in there. They're a great off road tourer but Fordem is right. You'd want at least 50% of your driving to be on freeways or open roads to get the benefit of the GV in a diesel (and also keep your DPF in good condition)

Cheers
Wes

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just noticed that in the tensioner pulley recall it states "... reduced tension in the belt may result in dashboard warning lamps illuminating".

Might be clutching at straws but wondering if there is a link here between your faulty drive belt tension pulley and the warning light/subsequent fault codes. It might be worth getting the pulley done first and then see if same fault codes are still being logged.

If your'e in Oz, I have the range of VIN numbers that were recalled. If your's is one of them, Suzuki Australia would have it recorded as to whether or not the repair was carried out.

Cheers
Wes

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just upgraded to a 2010 SGV with quite a list of issues. Cars are just nuts and bolts, don't be afraid to fix them and even do a few things yourself to save some money and build up your own mechanical know-how. Start small, you'll soon be keen to follow the instructions or forums like this online to fix almost anything.

Not to mention when you repair a 2nd hand vehicle you are making it better which should increase your confidence in the car, dont let it reduce it! The 2010 SGV I just bought the suspension is stuffed, but once I replace it with Ironman suspension for the lift I want I know it is better than new!

Also avoid the dealers mechanic. They're a good idea for brand new cars for recalls, software updates, etc... but 2nd hand they're just flat out expensive. If you can post what state/city you're near Im sure someone on here could recommend a mechanic. I use a Repco branded mechanic in Midland (WA) and he's brilliant, honest & thorough yet very very well priced. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts