Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, it started slowly like a month ago with vibration but no sounds when I'm driving with 60mph. Recently the sound has increased and since yesterday any time I accelerate it occurs (only when I am giving it gas). Here are few videos with the sound, what could it be? I think it's something like front diff, axle, CV joints etc?

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
Hub? Bearings? Caliper / Brake Backing Plate? All guesses from afar! :unsure:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But again it only happens while I am accelerating, completely stops when I let go the gas, wouldn't this exclude all of these? Also doesn't happen when revving the engine while parked, so it's something with the drive train I guess :/

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
I hear ya. ?

There is an odd scraping sound to it. Hard to discern with the wind buffeting noise. Possibly flex-plate / toque converter rubbing related? Auto trans I presume.

Is the engine start procedure normal and without odd sounds?

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
I think not.

Might you be able to replicate the sound raised on rack, in gear, with light foot brake pressure to "load" the driveline?

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
Are you in 4WD at anytime that the noise is apparent?
Are you all wheel drive or conventional 2/4WD?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think not.

Might you be able to replicate the sound raised on rack, in gear, with light foot brake pressure to "load" the driveline?
That I didn't think of when I had it lifted, but we did try to accelerate when in the air and it didn't have the sound, applying the brake would have been the trick, didn't think of that :/

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you in 4WD at anytime that the noise is apparent?
Are you all wheel drive or conventional 2/4WD?
So it's an all wheel drive car, doesn't have the transfer to 4 locked and 4 locked low option tho. So I assume it's a rear wheel drive until it needs extra power or detects slip and that's when the front wheel drive kicks in and the noise occurs I guess...

Just came back from another shop that had it lifted and they couldn't find anything for 40 minutes, until they found that front shaft play and they blamed it on that as well...
If nothing else comes to mind I guess I'll go with replacing it, I wish I could exclude the transmission/ transfer case/ front differential from being the problem tho :/
I'm considering getting a GoPro under there and see if I'll catch anything, thoughts?

·
Registered
791 Posts
So I assume it's a rear wheel drive until it needs extra power or detects slip and that's when the front wheel drive kicks in and the noise occurs I guess...
No. It is a permanent AWD system, all four wheels are driven all the time. There is no central clutch of any kind. It is not a "slip and then grip" system.

Regarding your noise, have you considered the exhaust system. Or more specifically the light weight heat shields in various places. These rust and get loose and buzz and rattle around especially when the engine (and exhaust) is under load and moves around slightly. My vehicle has made similar noises in the past until I either removed the rusted shields or replaced the clamps with proper stainless clamps. Much easier to check than drivetrain components.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
depending on the model, they do have a LSD in the centre diff.This i think is one that does.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. It is a permanent AWD system, all four wheels are driven all the time. There is no central clutch of any kind. It is not a "slip and then grip" system.

Regarding your noise, have you considered the exhaust system. Or more specifically the light weight heat shields in various places. These rust and get loose and buzz and rattle around especially when the engine (and exhaust) is under load and moves around slightly. My vehicle has made similar noises in the past until I either removed the rusted shields or replaced the clamps with proper stainless clamps. Much easier to check than drivetrain components.
Yeah pretty sure it's the connection between the end of the front drive shaft and the transfer case, as seen on the videos it's pretty loose and it seems dry/unlubricated which would explain the metal to metal swirling sounds from the videos.

I want to make sure I bought the right part, I ordered this here

Amazon says it doesn't fit my car, but it's wrong right ?

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
I'm seeing "We need more information to verify that this product fits
your specific 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara." not a no-fit, on the Amazon site.

You should be able to verify the Suzuki part number here:

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the ends of this shaft look the same for the one I bought, but on the website you posted it looks different on one of the sides, do you know why ?

·
Super Moderator
18,735 Posts
I do not. :(

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Called Febest and they explained me that I need to order this CV joint too

With that I think we have the whole package and it would look like here

·
Registered