Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by dog@Jan 13 2005, 05:30 PM
Hello, this is my first post. I purchased a white '04 Forenza 5spd and fell in love at once. 55mph in 2nd gear. smoothride for my daily commute. Well less than amonth later, before I could do any thing with it, a drunk hit me. It was 9:00 am on a sunny day and this guy drives right into me at a stop light doing 60mph. He hit his brakes after he hit us and had tried at the last secound to hit the left hand turn lane, ended up only hitting the drivers side of the trunk. The worst part was he was in a full sized '92 chevy conversion van. The car did its job, the trunk folded up but stopped there the back seat was hardly moved and my 2 kids walked away with out even being cut by the glass or bruised. The van was totaled the front pass. tire was in the front seat. The intersection looked like a bomb went off and the inside of the car was full of tail light chunks and plastic molding from the trunk.
We replaced this one with a red one (love the gold metal flake), but we could not find a stick, the auto just isn't as fast, even though I can work the hold +manual shift to roll em over. Good money coming from the reck so I am looking for a used 04 with a 5spd. Suzuki is launching SWT America in Feb so I am gonna tune this one to the max and let the wife keep the red one stock.
Thats really good to here that everyones okay and the car withstood it.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by dog@Jan 14 2005, 05:47 AM
THANX
When I bought my first Forenza I called my insurance company to find out what they had to say, they told me by all means buy it. They go by what is called a symbol rating, the lower the number the safer the car, most cars in this class are at about a 12 the FORENZA RATING IS A 6, and my rates a pretty low.
I am glad that day we drove the Forenza and not my '78 Cutlass. No crumple zones on that old beast and any one that says that crumple zones don't work is an idiot.
My insurence was $330usd a month... we changed to my dads business' insurence and got it down to $220-240. Thats being a male under 25 (16) with a new car. Ive taken every class to lower the insurence that i can too. It sucks though. I can understand, most kids my age get in a wreck within a couple months. Ive driven 50-70,000 milels and havnt had anything yet.

Oh and my insurence wont even claim my aftermarket parts unless i claim them, which makes my insurence go up.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by dog@Jan 14 2005, 06:15 AM
I am 30 and pay $950 eve 6 months for full coverage on thezuki and minimums on the olds and that is with a 5 over and a 15 over speeding tickets. Here in sc the speed limits are really low. Over 75% of my half hour commute is 45 and 35 mph.
If you wreck you will be able to salvage some of your bolt ons for the new ride and it is cheaper to replace the ones you can't then to pay higher premiums. I had a chance to run my 5spd Forenza on an old airport runway and got it up to 130mph. My recomendation is don't try this with a stock Forenza it gets a little to loose due to the luxo suspension. I had to slow her down pretty quick and that is where I ran into the most trouble.
Thats why i hant claimed my aftermaket parts... its cheaper not to and pay for them if they get damged. I got my car up too 132.. the traffic was going about 100mph so i had to slow down... it was still accelerating pretty good. Is yoursuzuki stock? Before i lowered mine at 112 it would have taken 5 mins to get too 120. Sorry for any spelling mistakes i have the moniter really dim so i dont get in trouble in school. lol

Dan

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by dog@Jan 15 2005, 09:07 AM
we have an interchange here called malfunction junction, it is about the craziest thing I have ever seen. It connects I20 and I26, you have to cross traffic coming onto the one your on as you exit and take this long loop to the right and cross traffic at the top that is exiting on the same lane you are entering. So you get a rolling start of about 35mph and have about 400' to find a gap threw the exiting traffic and merge left into expressway traffic doing 80mph. Both Forenzas do this ok but the 5spd had more on demand. Usualy to be able to get away into the inside lane I bust a hundred(right after you enter there is another on ramp with cars coming off it at 80) At rush hour this is considered the most dangerous place in the city. Alot of people traveling threw are unaware of this interchange until its to late so don't even slow down. The traffic is real thick all day but at 5:00pm it is insane.
I never had time to modify the white one before it was wrecked an I think instead of doing any thing with the red one I am going to let the wife drive it and leave it stock, she has a long commute and never has to get on the Interstate so she likes the plush ride. I am going to see if I can find a cheap used 5spd Forenza and freak it. I have been toying with the idea of putting a chevy 350 in a mazda pick up but I'm not sure I think I will go with the Forenza, I have just fallen in love with these cars. I saw on one of these forums a guy talking about how they have the same motor as ours in Europe revving to 10 grand with 625hp, I think 300hp would do the job of killing the local muscle cars.
I saw you talking about launching your car, here is a tip find a hill with a decent grade and stop on it facing up hill, hold the brake with your right and start to let the clutch out and let up on the brakes and hold the car from rolling backwards with the clutch and gas. Once you can do this practice launching uphill with as much power as you can with out wheelspin(tip about hearing the wheels spin crack the front windows a little). Once you have the clutch control on the hill you will have it. These cars don't have the best clutch, it is real quick to engage with out any forgiveness for error, so the long let off is necessary. Hopefully some clutch goodies are coming soon.
The sloppiness of the rear end doing high speed manuvers and braking are because of the luxo suspension and not enough down force on the rear end your car should already do better with the wider tires and lowering, a good wing will help to.
The highest ive heard of is 650hp. Yeah i love my car.. its not the fastest (yet) but she treats me very good.

Im good with the cluth and all i just need to practice alot with launching it without spinng the tires too much.... i always assumed you just reved it and let off the clutch as fast as possible but i realized thats about the worst way, my wheels spin all the way into 2nd gear that way. I need a road where i can practice to my hearts content... but the only roads i know of with no traffic and no cops are crappy roads with alot of sand and pepples.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by kinkyllama@Jan 15 2005, 09:55 AM
The highest ive heard of is 650hp. Yeah i love my car.. its not the fastest (yet) but she treats me very good.
Im good with the cluth and all i just need to practice alot with launching it without spinng the tires too much.... i always assumed you just reved it and let off the clutch as fast as possible but i realized thats about the worst way, my wheels spin all the way into 2nd gear that way. I need a road where i can practice to my hearts content... but the only roads i know of with no traffic and no cops are crappy roads with alot of sand and pepples.
Did the hill thing last night.. couldnt launch it hard though cuz it was in the dirt. I went offroading, lol... lots of fun

1 - 6 of 6 Posts