Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone out there with the Reno or Optra5 measure their real fuel economy yet? Advertised rate was around 10L per 100 kms in the city as per the government of Canada`s take. Mine is much worse, routinely around 14.

A defect perhaps?

·
Registered
2 Posts
cab938,

I had registered here to voice the same concern and notice you already started a thread. Yes, I too have had poor fuel economy. The numbers on paper are bad to begin with and my real world numbers, like yours, are much worse.

I'm getting 13.7L/100km in the city (vs. 10.7L in the specs), and that's with the manual transmission. That translates to about 17.1 mpg (US gallons) and the specs say 22-32 mpg. That's more or less what I was getting from the '87 Grand Am with a 3.0L V6 that we just retired, except that the Grand Am had a little more (err, a lot more), um, "balls". :unsure:

I only have just over 3100 km's on the car though. Perhaps the engine needs to be broken in more? I will continue to record the results I'm getting, tank per tank.

How many km's have you put on your car and are you driving auto or manual?

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Chevrowoozuki@Dec 23 2004, 02:20 AM
cab938,

I had registered here to voice the same concern and notice you already started a thread. Yes, I too have had poor fuel economy. The numbers on paper are bad to begin with and my real world numbers, like yours, are much worse.

I'm getting 13.7L/100km in the city (vs. 10.7L in the specs), and that's with the manual transmission. That translates to about 17.1 mpg (US gallons) and the specs say 22-32 mpg. That's more or less what I was getting from the '87 Grand Am with a 3.0L V6 that we just retired, except that the Grand Am had a little more (err, a lot more), um, "balls". :unsure:

I only have just over 3100 km's on the car though. Perhaps the engine needs to be broken in more? I will continue to record the results I'm getting, tank per tank.

How many km's have you put on your car and are you driving auto or manual?

Cheers
That sucks, I was hoping there would be a plethora of people answer indicating that they had great economies and mine was likely just a bad apple. I'm driving the LS auto, but have used air conditioning minimally. Here's specific numbers for my economy:

kms litres l/100km
328 47.706 --
637 40.832 13.2
944 44.920 14.6
1260 43.368 13.7
1557 45.173 15.2
1868 49.693 16.0

I've got less than 2k on it. Even though it's an auto, the posted rates were identical, and my wife is a fairly conservative driver. The last two numbers are a bit of an outlier, since winter has hit... so my real averages has been in the high 13's. I was honestly expecting to get better than the 10 just because of the way my wife drives.

Will check tire pressure, everything is factory so far, and it's had it's first 3 mo checkup no problems. Tires do not look visibly low.

Any reports on how it deals with highway mileage (I think posted was around 7l/100kms)?

How do you find it starts in the cold (-20 or lower)?

Cya,

cab938

·
Registered
187 Posts
My gas milage has never been that low. I average about 22mpg combined. City/Highway. I expierenced the same problem Kinkyllama had with the tire pressure (which is an issue with Hankook tires supplied on these cars). You have to keep watch...i'd say at least monthly) I have 43psi in the front and currently running 37psi on the rears. I find it gives me the ride I desire and cuts down on the guzzling. I noticed if I keep it around 2K rpm my gas milage is excellent. This translates into 40mph in the city and around 60mph on the highway in fourth gear. Tough to do but if you drive like that I'm sure you will notice a difference. Are any of you carrying additional weight? Golf clubs, stereo components, dead bodies (just kidding) anything like that? If so make sure you increase the psi on the rear tires to compensate for the load. I dont recommend runnning the max psi but I dont go to far under it either. especially on the front. I dont know if it "truly" makes a difference but i use the best gas I can find and at times, maybe twice a month I use penzoil octane boost.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by Tim04@Dec 23 2004, 10:51 PM
My gas milage has never been that low. I average about 22mpg combined. City/Highway. I expierenced the same problem Kinkyllama had with the tire pressure (which is an issue with Hankook tires supplied on these cars). You have to keep watch...i'd say at least monthly) I have 43psi in the front and currently running 37psi on the rears. I find it gives me the ride I desire and cuts down on the guzzling. I noticed if I keep it around 2K rpm my gas milage is excellent. This translates into 40mph in the city and around 60mph on the highway in fourth gear. Tough to do but if you drive like that I'm sure you will notice a difference. Are any of you carrying additional weight? Golf clubs, stereo components, dead bodies (just kidding) anything like that? If so make sure you increase the psi on the rear tires to compensate for the load. I dont recommend runnning the max psi but I dont go to far under it either. especially on the front. I dont know if it "truly" makes a difference but i use the best gas I can find and at times, maybe twice a month I use penzoil octane boost.

What? fourth gear at 60mph? im in 5th gear at 50mph @ 2200 rpms.... i have the forenza.

·
Registered
187 Posts
you forgot? i have an automatic gearbox :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow.... My new Reno 5-speed arrives next week. I am a little shocked by the mileage reports. My 87 Samurai is still getting 25+ mpg (10.62 kpl) and hits 70 mph (112 kph) on straightaways. Surely an '05 Reno can top what that old crate can do. Ok, 1.3 L vs. 2 L is part of it, but sheesh! C'mon. I was thinking 35mpg (~15 kpl) highway. The old Swift got well over 40 mpg (17 kpl) and went over 90 mph (144 kph). If I don't get 22/30 at least, I will be disappointed. It's my second car in 28 years, and my first brand new one!

What are the mileage booster options?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by jdcjr@Dec 24 2004, 06:07 AM
Wow.... My new Reno 5-speed arrives next week. I am a little shocked by the mileage reports. My 87 Samurai is still getting 25+ mpg (10.62 kpl) and hits 70 mph (112 kph) on straightaways. Surely an '05 Reno can top what that old crate can do. Ok, 1.3 L vs. 2 L is part of it, but sheesh! C'mon. I was thinking 35mpg (~15 kpl) highway. The old Swift got well over 40 mpg (17 kpl) and went over 90 mph (144 kph). If I don't get 22/30 at least, I will be disappointed. It's my second car in 28 years, and my first brand new one!

What are the mileage booster options?
My forenzas just went over 300 miles on one tank and i havnt seen it say empty yet. Thats really good cuz on this tank ive messed around alot like trying to top out and racing some people

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Chevrowoozuki@Dec 23 2004, 02:20 AM
cab938,

I got a response back from my salesperson indicating the mileage should increase sometime between 10k-15k. Ug, long time to wait. Is this common with new cars?

cab938

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by ShortBuSX@Dec 28 2004, 03:00 PM
To be perfectly honest with you, even the Aerio takes a lil while for the mpg to open up...but after 20k Im gettting 28mpg(BTW with a manual you can expect beter)...and surely I can smoke a Reno!(with my auto trans) :p
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​
How much HP and TQ does the Aerio have?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by "Road and Track"
The front-wheel-drive Reno's 16-valve dohc 4-cylinder engine is 2.0 liters in displacement and makes decent power, putting out 126 bhp at 5600 rpm and 131 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm. A 5-speed manual transmission is standard while a 4-speed automatic is an available option. Fuel economy is rated at 22 mpg city and 30 highway with the manual and 21/29 in the automatic.
But I didnt find the weight listed...but Id guess the Reno might weight less. But certainly if it was as efficient then it would get somewhat close to the claimed mpg.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by ShortBuSX@Dec 30 2004, 11:43 AM
Well does anybody know curb weight????
Well i think its the same as the forenza which is 2700.

I know my cars gets better gas milege than that reveiw b/c i dont drive on the freeway and i dont drive very economicly and i get about 25 mpg. I drive well from one light then the next one i shift at 6k rpms. lol.. i try to drive nicly but i cant help it alotta of the time.

Wait until i get the lightened UD pulley for my car in two weeks, 22 more hp in some parts of the powerband :p

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by ShortBuSX@Dec 30 2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah I drive very similar and still get great mileage.

But your pulley giving you 22 hp...I find highly unlikely. On an Aerio the UD pulley only gives like 2 or 3 hp at best...but that is a different car entirely, yet I still doubt it. But Im not knocking a UD pulley, I love mine! Best mod Ive done yet!
The max gain was 22.8 at 6300 rpms. The avg gain is 8. A rule of thumb i read was every pound you lose on the UD pulley can give you 7hp. The lightend one weighs 405 grams and the stock one weight 1670.

Theres a dyno graph at the bottom of this post that shows the gains:
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic....er=asc&start=15

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by kinkyllama@Dec 30 2004, 03:13 PM
The max gain was 22.8 at 6300 rpms. The avg gain is 8. A rule of thumb i read was every pound you lose on the UD pulley can give you 7hp. The lightend one weighs 405 grams and the stock one weight 1670.

Theres a dyno graph at the bottom of this post that shows the gains:
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic....er=asc&start=15

For some reason that link doesnt work :mellow: Are you able to right click on properties and then post the graph here?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts