Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such thing as a real electric supercharger? There are alot of ebay ones which sell for $30+ and I looked at some of the seller's feedbacks and it looked like most people were satisfied about what they bought. I also googled Electric Supercharger and found this supercharger selling for $199. How would I know which one works and which one doesn't?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
Is there such thing as a real electric supercharger? There are alot of ebay ones which sell for $30+ and I looked at some of the seller's feedbacks and it looked like most people were satisfied about what they bought. I also googled Electric Supercharger and found this supercharger selling for $199. How would I know which one works and which one doesn't?

Thanks
Remember - you get what you pay for.

"Real" electric superchargers do exist, but they're not cheap and in my opinion, you'd be better off with a turbocharger.

Check out thomas knight : turbo upgrades + superchargers

·
Super Moderator
4,416 Posts
no such thing as a working electric supercharger. To make enough boost to make any hp, the amp draw would be so much all the hp would be used up by spinning the alternator that is in full field. Looking at a few rip off ricer electric blowers out there, the best give a few pis and use over 60 amps.. 60 amps.. It will almost stall the car fr Gods sake drawing 60 amps

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
no such thing as a working electric supercharger. To make enough boost to make any ho, the amp draw would be so much all the hp would be used up by spinning the alternator that is in full field. Looking at a few rip off ricer electric blowers out there, the best give a few pis and use over 60 amps.. 60 amps.. It will almost stall the car fr Gods sake drawing 60 amps
I used to feel that way also - but I suggest you take a look at the ThomasKnight site I linked to.

You can develop significant boost with an electrically driven supercharger, however, as you point out, it does require significant electrical power, more than most alternators can deliver forcing you to resort to additional batteries (think additional weight here) and in my opinion not worth the cost & complexity, hence my suggestion that the OP consider a turbocharger.

At this point - I will no longer say that it does not exist, I prefer to say that it is perhaps not worth the trouble, as there are easier ways to achieve the same results.

With an electric supercharger you are going to be faced with the same fueling & detonation issues that you face with a beltdriven supercharger - the big difference is that mounting it is going to be marginally easier (you don't need to find a location that lines up with the crankshaft pulley).

Of course the same holds true for a turbocharger - there is no belt to line up - you do add some heat issues (which can be dealt with by an intercooler), add the advantage of utilizing what is essentially wasted energy, and the turbo is way ahead of the other two.

Of course we're now starting to get really complex - fuel issues, detonation issues, boost control issues - and the dollars are really starting to add up - taking me right back to the first line of my earlier response - you get what you pay for.

You buy the $30 eBay special - and you'll get $30 worth of boost, buy this $200 job - and get $200 worth of boost, neither of which will do you the slightest bit of good.

But on the other hand $2500 worth of ThomasKnight with another few thousand bucks in batteries and wiring and fuel controllers - or - a few thousand bucks in an eaton blower, plus custom fabricated mounts and manifolds & fuel controllers - or - a few thousand bucks in manifolds, turbos, intercoolers, fuel controllers, etc., and you will get results.

I tell you what - let's agree on this - there is no such thing as CHEAP forced induction.

·
Super Moderator
4,416 Posts
That website uses an *EIGHT* hp electric motor to drive the turbo. And its like nos. Plus you have to carry batteries cause the alternator cannot supply enough poer to run it.. And it can only be used to a few seconds at a time.. and only 8 psi with a full charge. There is no such thing as useful electric turbo.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts