Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 Samarui. I think the rear bearings are going bad. Anyways, i was wondering how hard it is to change them. I know they are pressed in, But I've never been inside of one before??:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts

You can cut the bearing and retainer off with a cutoff wheel on a grinder, just don't nick the axle. Go almost all the way through and then whack it with a hammer and chisel.

Normally you need to press the new bearing and retainer on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear end..

The rear end in it is kinda the same set up as the 9inch ford right?? Do I have to take the whole rear end apart??

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Yes, and no.
Yes, it uses a third member that holds the gears in a removable chunk.
No, you don't have to disassemble it to change the wheel bearings.

The Samurai axle doesn't use 'c' clips. So after you drain the oil you can disassemble the wheel end of the axle (remember to remove the four small bolts that hold the brake backing plate to the axle housing) and then pull the axle assembly straight out.
If the axle won't come out easily (it shouldn't) then use a puller.
If you don't have a puller, you can remove the brake guts, brake line, housing bolts (mentioned above) and the emergency brake - then bolt the brake drum and tire back on and use the stock scissors jack between the body and the inside of the tire. Be careful to move anything out of the way because sometimes the axle/wheel can come off with a bit of force behind it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts