Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys re use your old head bolts? The shop that's doing my head said it would be ok for me to re use them. He said "clean the threads up real good and put a little oil on them ". What do you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would reuse the old bolts if the look clean there should be no problems. If you have a head gasket installed at a dealer they reuse bolts.

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
I didn't read the discussion thread, but my old school ways (of re-using head bolts) has worked for me on countless applications. :rolleyes:

Unless bolt technology has changed over time. Don't know. Don't THINK so. Maybe in some high end, high price, deep pockets applications it is customary to go "new"? :huh: But not in this application.

Early Small Block Chevy con rod nuts are MY one exception (to date anyways).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Some engine heads you torque to yield and in that case you don't re-use them. But from what I understand this engine is not. So you can re-use them.

But I'd find out more about "putting a little oil on them". Dry torque values and lubed torque valves are two different things. On something as finicky as head bolts, I'd find out for sure. Might have to install them dry, or deduct a percentage for the lubed threads.

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
First - there HAS been a change in bolt technology, and there are now what are known as TTY or Torque-To-Yield bolts, where the bolts are torqued until they actually stretch (or yield) and are permanently elongated - this type of bolt can/should not be reused - I believe you will find that TTY bolts (also known as angle torque, for reasons that are about to become clear) have a different recommended torque sequence, that will go something like this...

1) Tighten to x ft-lbs
2) Fully loosen
3) Tighten to y ft-lbs
4) Tighten 90*
5) Tighten 90*

Each of the above steps also has to be performed with the usual "tighten working outwards from the center sequence" of cylinder head bolts.

This procedure is taken from the FSM for one of my other vehicles, and that vehicle requires you to measure each cylinder head bolt, and if it is longer than a defined length it MUST be replaced.

Having pointed that out - I've never seen any of my Suzuki manuals warn against the reuse of head bolts, and I just checked the manual for a G16 - there is no such warning - the same manual warns against reusing valve guides & oil seals, so I think it is safe to say, that if the head bolts were not re-useable, there would have been a warning, and in the absence of such - I say re-use - the Suzuki FSM also has a much simpler procedure for torqueing the head bolts on the G16 - torque first to 25 ft-lbs and then to 40.

FWIW - I've never replaced head bolts, only reused.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys. I think I'll reuse. I was just going by what the engine builder told as far as the oil goes. However not sure how many tracker motors he's built. Ill try to research and see if I can find if I need to oil them or not. I planned on torque to 52ft lb.

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
And be cognizant where SEALANT on bolt threads is needed, as in those areas that breach coolant system passages. ;)

The Service Manual will alert you to those, if required.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Max I don't have a service manual. Maybe somebody on here can tell me which ones need sealant. :0)!!

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Check the "sticky" Tech thread up top for a manual.

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
If you look over at Acks FAQS, the 1996 Tracker FSM is free to download.
Ack's FAQ Site Map

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have read this discussion and I think it is ok to reuse cylinder head bolts in J20A. Do I have to use sealant with bolts? Is there coolant behind the bolts?

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
On the J20a engine...

Grab a copy of the SQ Series Service Manual Vol 2 of 2 from this FAQ thread.
https://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-19...qs-frequently-asked-questions-parts-tech.html

Then see:
ENGINE MECHANICAL (J20 ENGINE) 6A4-55
In part it reads (minus diagrams)...

INSTALLATION
1) Clean mating surface of cylinder head and cylinder block.
Remove oil, old gasket and dust from mating surface.
2) Install knock pins to cylinder block.
3) Install new cylinder head gasket to cylinder block.
“TOP” mark provided on gasket comes to crankshaft pulley side,
facing up (toward cylinder head side).
4) Install cylinder head to cylinder block.

Apply engine oil to cylinder head bolts and tighten them gradually as follows.
(1)Tighten all bolts to 53 N.
m (5.3 kg-m, 38.5 lb-ft) according to
numerical order in figure.
(2)In the same manner as in (1), tighten them to 84 N.
m (8.4
kg-m, 61.0 lb-ft).
(3)Loosen all bolts until tightening torque is reduced to 0 in the
illustrated order.
(4)Tighten all bolts to 53 N.
m (5.3 kg-m, 38.5 lb-ft) according to
numerical order in figure.
(5)In the same manner as in (4) again, tighten them to specified
torque.
Tightening Torque
(a): 105 N.
m (10.5 kg-m, 76.0 lb-ft)
(b): 11 N.
m ( 1.1 kg-m, 8.0 lb-ft)

NOTE:
Be sure to tighten M6 bolt after securing the other bolt.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
if the manual gives torque settings then you are usually safe to re-use them. if the manual gives a torque setting then a "plus 90 degrees" then these are usually "torque to yield" bolts and shouldn't be re-used. Fordem has discussed this earlier in the thread.

On this particular motor, oil them, torque as per manual (check head gasket packet as torque settings may vary if a "permatorque" type is used) and enjoy your journeys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have changed head gasket for Peugeots and tightening procedure was "torque+angle". It was allowed to reuse the bolts if their length was below the criteria.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They are torque to yield if they have a tighten to x, loosen, tighten to x, turn another x degrees.
"Can" you reuse them? Sure. But Fel Pro says no, toss them... this is common with "late model" head bolts. Many after early 90's.
It is a BAD idea to reuse them if torque to yield.
With that being said, many folks can't properly use a torque wrench either...
(I build engines for a living.... mostly race crap.... some stock stuff if slow or bored)

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
They are torque to yield if they have a tighten to x, loosen, tighten to x, turn another x degrees.
"Can" you reuse them? Sure. But Fel Pro says no, toss them... this is common with "late model" head bolts. Many after early 90's.
It is a BAD idea to reuse them if torque to yield.
With that being said, many folks can't properly use a torque wrench either...
(I build engines for a living.... mostly race crap.... some stock stuff if slow or bored)
TTY bolts are single use only in my book, less issues if they are replaced. Only 1 has to stretch that little bit much and then you have a warped head and bigger issues. Especially in these days of OHC engines with cams running in cast bearings in the head.

Engine builder huh?
heres one of my toys...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was an engine guy... for a living... I actually have found tty bolts that would not take the initial torque.... they would just stretch. I assume they were crappy bolts sourced by my profit above all else company at the time... but it cost them a lot... not everyone has the experience with torqueing fasteners I did... I caught it... many a mechanic did not.
I am tight... maybe even cheap... I would never dream of reusing tty bolts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts