Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Further to my enquiry re 55 profile tyres should have mentioned I am considering 185 55 16s, also Dunlops don't do Blu response, but Goodyear do their excellent efficent grip which have much better economy wet grip and noise suppression than anything from Bridgestone which I have always found a bit hard, and not very grippy. One further question. Honest John says the Ignis can take a full size spare, being old fashioned and even though I hav'nt suffered a flat in more than 50000miles I would rather be prepared. Other than taking a wheel off, which I might have to as the squeal from the rear brakes is driving me mad. So much for a full service and pre delivery check. Also I have an annoying rattle coming from the back end ?? which the saleman assured me was the trade plate fapping. NOT. Yours hoping someone can help.

·
Registered
290 Posts
185 55 16 tyres have almost the same wall height as the original tyres so there is no issue with speedo reading or gearing and I would expect no deterioration in ride. A change in tyre size is a modification and it would be wise to inform your insurance company. Owners on this forum have fitted a variety of tyres without negative issue. You mention ride quality and you might wish to check if the car has the upgraded shock absorbers - this aspect has been well covered on this forum. Depending on when the car was registered - you may well be able to get the upgrade under the Suzuki warranty. There can be a myriad of reasons for a rear end rattle but the originally fitted shock absorbers can result in noise when going over bumps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have emailed you. Thanks for your input. Will defo go down the Goodyear 185 route when the time comes, Also thanks for the rear shock info, I was wondering how to raise the question at the dealership. Cheers Colin

·
Registered
290 Posts
The suspension issue was highlighted by Autocar and the Ignis was fitted with upgraded front and rear shock absorbers + bumpstops from early 2018.
Suzuki didn't do a recall and would upgrade the suspension of older cars under warranty when owners complained - it's an expensive upgrade! Several forum members have had their cars modified. In my case it made a huge improvement. You can check if your car has the original shock absorbers and hasn't aready been upgraded by looking at the rear shock absorbers. The original shock absorbers are around an inch diameter - the replacements are 50% bigger. Assuming your car is still under warranty, it won't cut it if you just tell the dealer that you want the upgrade that you're aware of. The complaint should be that the car clatters and bangs over bumps particularly when fully loaded. The dealer may well have encountered the issue previously but if not they can consult Suzuki Technical who will authorise the upgrade.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will have a go on Monday, The only thing I like at the moment is the consumption or lack of it. After 6yrs with a Yaris T sport which stuck to the road like glue and felt like a class piece of machinery, the Ignis feels very wayward, understeers at will and wobbles around (bare in mind I am no racer, which my current 64.7mpg will confirm and I was getting 49.3 from the Yaris). I have improved the feel by the simple addition of a leather steering wheel glove.(looks naff) But am distraught to think I have just spent nearly £9000 on a far inferior vehicle which after 600miles and at 18000mls is showing signs of wear and tear and I have to say a lack of service integrity. The back brakes squeal like a banshee. Unfortunately a 15min road test dosn't tell you much other than it goes and stop. I did try a Panda city cross, with 4000miles which needed 3rd gear to go up a mild slope, and felt like it had flat tyres. They all feel like that Sir was the Fiat dealers only comment. Its due to electric power steering. Am I being too fussy ?? Yours fed up Colin

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Thanks, I will have a go on Monday, The only thing I like at the moment is the consumption or lack of it. After 6yrs with a Yaris T sport which stuck to the road like glue and felt like a class piece of machinery, the Ignis feels very wayward, understeers at will and wobbles around (bare in mind I am no racer, which my current 64.7mpg will confirm and I was getting 49.3 from the Yaris). I have improved the feel by the simple addition of a leather steering wheel glove.(looks naff) But am distraught to think I have just spent nearly £9000 on a far inferior vehicle which after 600miles and at 18000mls is showing signs of wear and tear and I have to say a lack of service integrity. The back brakes squeal like a banshee. Unfortunately a 15min road test dosn't tell you much other than it goes and stop. I did try a Panda city cross, with 4000miles which needed 3rd gear to go up a mild slope, and felt like it had flat tyres. They all feel like that Sir was the Fiat dealers only comment. Its due to electric power steering. Am I being too fussy ?? Yours fed up Colin
Check your tyre pressures too, these will vary depending on manufacturer of the tyre.
I find that inflating mine to the recommended placard pressure with the ones I'm running on the swift makes for understeer, then massive oversteer once into the corner. Dropping 6 psi made all the difference to the handling, and it sticks like glue now. It was vague and "wandering" in a straight line, now its semi heavy steering until you get off the straight line then it becomes nimble and feels planted.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Check your tyre pressures too, these will vary depending on manufacturer of the tyre.
I find that inflating mine to the recommended placard pressure with the ones I'm running on the swift makes for understeer, then massive oversteer once into the corner. Dropping 6 psi made all the difference to the handling, and it sticks like glue now. It was vague and "wandering" in a straight line, now its semi heavy steering until you get off the straight line then it becomes nimble and feels planted.
Unfortunately you have little room for reducing tyre pressures on the Ignis - the TPMS alarm system will become a nuisance if you reduce by more than a couple of psi.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Thats why I abhor TPMS systems, they are designed for a certain brand at a certain pressure.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Steering and handling issues have regularily been picked up in motoring reports - it's not helped by the fact that it's a lightweight car with skinny tyres. Suzuki have always been masters in the small engine area and the Ignis engine is efficient, lively and straightforward (no turbo, 3 cylinders etc etc) - the 0 to 60 time achieved by the motoring press is far better than the 11.8 secs. quoted by Suzuki. The interior is roomy and many owners like the seating position - the interior finish is low rent compared to some of the competition. Brakes could be better - the stopping distances for a car of this size lags behind most of the competition. In this day and age, the suspension issues and the crabbing issues with the OE Bridgestone tyres should have been identified in pre-production.
In the first couple of years of production - the Ignis was good value, and at one time Suzuki were offering £2000 discount on list price. Unfortunately prices have crept up considerably and some options have been dropped. The SZ-T is now around £15.5K with metallic paint but no satnav - for this sort of money, there's a lot of good alternatives! Used selling prices for the Ignis are surprisingly high!

The brake problem you mention is a service issue - the rear drums should have been removed for inspection as part of the 2 year service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys. Thanks for your imputs. I took some camera phone pics under the back just now, (cant work out how to post them) but am shocked by what I see. The rear shocks look old and have 2 white stripes, but more worrying is the amount of surface rust on the spring hangers, springs, suspension cross member and petrol tank. This car is not 3 until sept. My 16 yr old Yaris had less rust. Is this usual or am I just unlucky. Will try to get an appointment with the dealer on Monday, If they arn't too busy that is. Cheers even more distraught Colin

·
Registered
469 Posts
That’s odd; we live 300 yards from the sea but our three year old Ignis has very little corrosion; just the rear drums and a bit on the exhaust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Colin, sounds like you're having a very similar experience as I had when I bought my Ignis. Hopefully as you are still under warranty, if you need the suspension upgrade you need to get it down to the dealer asap and get the work done. Mine was days out of warranty and the dealer and Suzuki GB didn't want to know unless I shelled out 4 or 500 quid for the privilege. I ended up sourcing second hand spares from a scrap yard and doing the work myself for just under £200. It's still not exactly a plush ride but at least I can carry more than a bag of sugar in the boot and not be riding on the bump stops. I also had to repaint the whole of my rear axle as it wasn't far off the same condition as my previous 8 year old Fiat Panda as regards rust. So no, it isn't just your car.

I'm very up and down regarding Ignis ownership. One day I love it. How it looks, the lovely sweet engine, the fantastic mpg etc but then the next day I get miffed about the less good stuff such as the aircon requiring re gassing at up to around £120 as it cant handle owt above 20 degrees c and my latest worry being the clutch which is very juddery at time in first gear and has a high bite point. My car is still only on 17k miles so who knows how long before I have to replace it.
Overall, I wish I'd stuck with my 2011 Panda.

Hope you get sorted.

On a side note, I also have a Suzuki Vitara which is and has been outstanding since the day I bought it !

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is a previous quote re corrosion:
The paint on the axle was painfully thin and the surface rust was worst on the trailing arm portion just rear of the pivot point on both sides, no doubt from the water spray off the wheels. It's not a good sign when the car has only done 15K miles though. To be honest I was surprised at how the bodywork has so many nooks and crannies created by tooling holes/ lightening holes on the underside, all just waiting to get crud in them. The paint doesn't appear that great there either.
I've just repaired a 2017 Cat N and had a good opportunity for a thorough examination. The amount of rust on some underside areas was a bit worrying but hopefully won't deteriorate much further. If I was going to keep my own Ignis for the long term - I would apply Dinitrol to key areas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great. Phoned the Dealership at 10 this morning to register my distress, we will get the 'Boss' to phone you back as he is busy with a customer. Here we are 3 in the afternoon, nothing. Maybe I shouldnt have outlined what was wrong. ??? Come on Tracks, you have supposed to have a good reputation, Disgruntled Colin.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Why not just book the car in at the dealership with the complaint about performance of the suspension over bumps etc. Suzuki won't authorise the warranty work unless the dealer has examined the car. There's little point in having a telephone discussion with the dealer - they won't commit to anything without seeing the car and they'll simply tell you to book the car in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So anyway, 'the boss' phoned this morning full of apologies and said we must get it booked in and looked at, never had any of those problems.
The girl on service reception didnt seem in the least surprised,
and said the brakes sound like they are due a service. Yes you did one last week. Suspension is a common problem, probably not been updated, and we have seen a few rust issues but you should be ok as it has a 12 year rust warranty so its now booked in a week thursday. Fingers all crossed.
Thanks for all of your helps. Cheers Colin

s

T

·
Registered
290 Posts
Great. Phoned the Dealership at 10 this morning to register my distress, we will get the 'Boss' to phone you back as he is busy with a customer. Here we are 3 in the afternoon, nothing. Maybe I shouldnt have outlined what was wrong. ??? Come on Tracks, you have supposed to have a good reputation, Disgruntled Colin.
Hopefully you'll get the suspension and brake noise issues sorted. I'd be very interested in any further information you can glean on rust issues encountered by the dealer. Even though many cars have long corrosion warranties - there are many pitfalls. The car has to be inspected annually and any issues corrected and documented promptly. Manufacturers will simply reject serious corrosion claims on the basis that this should have been rectified before it developed into a serious problem!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Honest John says the Ignis can take a full size spare, being old fashioned and even though I haven't suffered a flat in more than 50000miles I would rather be prepared.
I can't see that anyone has mentioned having a "proper" spare but I do have and I got it via eBay for a tiny fraction of Suzuki cost.I then added a "proper" jack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't see that anyone has mentioned having a "proper" spare but I do have and I got it via eBay for a tiny fraction of Suzuki cost.I then added a "proper" jack.
So does your 'proper spare' fit in the well where the polystyrene pump holder is, There seem to be plenty of ignii in the breakers yard. Prob all rusted like mine.
Assume you have an alloy spare. not a silly space saver. Cheers Colin

·
Registered
486 Posts
It will fit in the space since the rolling diameter will be the same as a space saver - but the cover will be higher since the wheel width will be more.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts