Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: max tire size for the van.

guys, ask ko lang, what's the max tire size for our carry vans? hopefully it could be able to accomodate an r14 tire. hehehe. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
tyre sizes

Hi, i am planing on putting 14inch wheels on my 95 super carry. 185/55/14 tyres are the same rolling circumference give or take 6-8 mm. The problem i am having is finding some wheels with the correct PCD and offset. Plus i may have to add some width to the wheels arches as these tyre will have to go on a 5 1/2inch rim.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
monometalico said:
Hi, i am planing on putting 14inch wheels on my 95 super carry. 185/55/14 tyres are the same rolling circumference give or take 6-8 mm. The problem i am having is finding some wheels with the correct PCD and offset. Plus i may have to add some width to the wheels arches as these tyre will have to go on a 5 1/2inch rim.
sir if i may ask to have those pics posted so i could do it to my carry too. thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have just moved house so am busy sorting out my workshop. As soon as i get started on the van i will post some pics of the progress. I am still trying to source some 14inch rims to fit:( but i have a lead to follow up on tomorrow. will keep you updated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
related to tire size, i noticed some carry have their wheel wells rounded in front unlike some which have like an arc starting from the front then abruptly goes in a straight cut at a 45degree angle down. do we need to trim this and make the wheel well rounder to accomodate bigger tires? is size 15 rims with low profile tires going too far?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the problem is not in the arches bro. its in the "tire well" or the allotted room suzuki manufacturers made for the front tire to play when turning full left or full right. definitely it will not carry wide and tall tires, only size 13 is able to play within the front. i wonder if size 14 fits in the rear part of the van...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am a motor mechanic and tyre fitter. I have no problem with cutting and rewelding wheel arches and as my van has a spot of tin worm. Plus i enjoy the challenge of the plans i have for my carry. There is a way of finding tyre sizes to fit your vans try using this tyre size calculator.

Tire size calculator

for example if you have 155/80/12 it works out pretty much the same as a 165/60/14

I will be using 185/55/14 if i can find the wheels to fit. I am having a hard time finding them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check one of the thread here that shows the pimp my ride first episode where they transform a Daihatsu Van.

You can watch the whole show and they even put a size 17 tire on that van.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
monometalico said:
I am a motor mechanic and tyre fitter. I have no problem with cutting and rewelding wheel arches and as my van has a spot of tin worm. Plus i enjoy the challenge of the plans i have for my carry. There is a way of finding tyre sizes to fit your vans try using this tyre size calculator.

Tire size calculator

for example if you have 155/80/12 it works out pretty much the same as a 165/60/14

I will be using 185/55/14 if i can find the wheels to fit. I am having a hard time finding them.
bro i'm having a hard time using the tire calculator. could you help me use it? - i'm trying to check whats the max tire size from our stock tires.

·
Registered
114 Posts
mono hit it right on the dot! so mono, are you saying we only need to be concerned with the total diameter of our tires so as not to scrape the sheet metal when we bottom our struts?

i guess for really wide tires, we need a rim that's really offset far out to accomodate the tires. will steering be a problem with a 195 or 205?

another thing is i get a warning beeper when i my speedo reads 90khp. can we cheat this beeper with tire size. so that we're actually running 120 while it still reads 85kph? do you guys have this beeping sound too?

·
Registered
97 Posts
the pic is a bit blurry but i took this one with my celfone just this morning, a Carry pickup with giant tires

·
Registered
85 Posts
kung hindi pinalitan ang tranny or gear ratio's nito, I bet madali lang mapudpud a clutch disc nito. You have to sacrifice the clutch disc para lang umusad ang sasakyan... esp kung may sakay....:eek:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup yup yup! eto pa bro: just found also a carry pickup na pinalitan ang tire rod to accomodate bigger tires when turning, parang r15 or r16 ang tires ata eh. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
okey dokey J-six and isporttrax i will try see if i can help you guys out. Right if you go to the tyre calculator and put 155/80/12 in the stock tyre box then put for example 165/60/14 in the new tyre box the info it gives you is-

155/80/12- 165/60/14
sidewall- 4.9inch - 3.9inch
radius- 10.9inch - 10.9inch
diameter- 21.8inch - 21.8inch
circumf- 68.4inch- 68.5inch
revs per min- 927.0- 925.0

it also tells you that your speedo will be 0.1% slow, so if your speedo reads 60mph you are really doing 60.1mph. So you can see there is no problem fitting the 165/60/14. if you wanted to go to 15inch wheels I would say that 185/45/15 tyres would be the size to go for. I do not know how the fit would be as far as fouling the body work when stearing but as i have said before that is not a problem for me as i am going to modify the body to fit the wheels. The law says that here in England wheels can not stick out from the wheel arches i dont know the laws you have to work to. As soon as i can i will update you guys with my progress and will post some pics as soon as i can.

ps i am still having major problems finding wheels to fit my van.

Regards to you all

·
Registered
114 Posts
good luck mono on your wheel fitting adventure! its hard to find wheels with ous pcd as most modern wheels wont fit. we dont have same rules here in the phils so its ok for our tires to stick out. its all a matter of preference. my only concern is the mud and dirt squeezing under the door as i dont have extended fenders so i have to watch out when i get off the truck so as not to get my pants dirty.
thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yup we do have the same rules but as compared in england the law enforcement could be dealt away with bribing or escaping the cops. :D

thanks sir mono.i wish i could do body remodelling to the van too just so to accomodate big tires. thanks for the sizes of the tires sir! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey isporttrak, its not the PCD or offset that is the problem for me finding wheels its the centre bore size. Its starting to look like i am going to have to buy some wheels with the correct pcd and offset then get the centre bore machined out to the correct size.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts