Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So today I got in my car and started it. It died. I didn't think much of it because it has done this before if I don't hold the starter for very long. Started right back up and away I went. I drove the 6 miles the post office, and six miles back and it was fine and dandy. Pulled up to the mail box and got my mail, went to pull away and a rattling noise started. Drove the car down the block to hear it more, and found it only did it when accelerating. Pulled into the drive, waited for it to cool some, checked oil, fine. No lights on, such as check engine, oil or anything. Started it back up, died again. Started it again and it revved up to 4, without me touching the pedal. It calmed back down and I put it in reverse to go see if it rattled again. As soon as I touched the gas it bogged down and died. Restarted it and it idled funny then died. Restarted it again, revved it right after, and let it idle about 2 minutes. Then it is fine again, but still the rattling noise when I push on the gas. Could my timing tensioner have gone out? The timing belt was replaced 10k ago (bought it from a local who fixes and resells totaled cars)... but I highly doubt he replaced this as well. Other then finding the factory didn't install my oil pumps gasket correctly, this has been the only problem. Does it sound right being the tensioner or would it be something else? My dad's a good mechanic, but my parents are separated and he lives an hour away or I would just take it to him, but I'm scared it will die or my belt will break. PLEASE REPLY FAST!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: Waited a while, then tried to start it again. Idle is very irregular now. It has to be timing related, seeing as it was very sudden. Now it basically dies no matter what because its rmp's go high, drop low and and fluctuates til it eventually sputters out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hmmm, when I start my car there seems to be a metallic rattling sound. This occurs only after the car has been sitting for about 4-8 hours. Any longer or shorter there is no rattle. In the winter I never get the rattle sound cause everything in the engine gets cold. Only in warm weather the rattle sound occurs. (I attribute it to uneven cooling). After about 30 seconds the rattle goes away and all is well. Sometimes it doesn't even rattle within 4-8 hours of sitting. I make no issue of it because my headgasket was replaced back in September so the mechanic had to put it back right. If something was drastically bad they would've told me or the engine would've blown up by now. When I accelerate to get onto the interstate or pass someone there is no rattling sound.

It can be timing related. Also, you might want to check on your camshaft position sensor. That is probably going bad. If you do a search on it some people have experienced what you have going on and it was fixed after the CPS was replaced. If the CPS is fixed and it doesn't die then thats good. But as for the rattle, I'm still perplexed by my own rattling.

It never rattles in the winter, only in spring, summer, and early fall. Been going on for a few years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i found my problem, and i feel like an idiot, but then again its not really my fault...
we have 2 farm tanks that one is full of diesel, and marked diesel, and one is full of unleaded, marked unleaded. my car was on e, so i put 1 gallon from the unleaded tank in to get me to town and back. unfortunately, somehow the unleaded tank was filled with diesel. the ticking or rattle was from running the wrong fuel, as you would hear running premium in a unleaded car, or vice versa. luckily, i only put in very little, so I'm just going to extremely dilute it tomorrow. hopefully it burns whats in there and will be fine. this has been the worst day ever... i'm pretty sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts