Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced this? i notice similar noise from my engine last week... im starting to worry.:(

Ticking or tapping sound from the engine: this typically occurs when the vehicle is cold, at start up. Once warm, the noise usually subsides or goes away. This indicates a valve tappet going bad. It can go on for months or even longer. It means eventually you'll need to replace the tappets (and keep an eye on your valves). You can get to most tappets by removing the valve cover. Many IH (Scout) vehicles have tappet sounds that these guys just live with (or add a little extra oil to reduce the noise). You won't hurt the engine running it with this sound. If it's an older engine and you're getting more and more tappet sound, I'd suggest keeping an eye on your compression (to know if the valves are going bad).
Once the noise seems to not go away as quickly, I suggest you get it to the shop or pull the valve cover and make the necessary repairs.. Keep plenty of oil in the engine, and consider using supplements like oil additives (STP and the like). These thickeners will help the valve parts continue working smoothly until you can get them fixed. Change your oil often (every three months or 3000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2000 Grand Vitara since last winter. It was worse than it is now. My mechanic changed oil, which I was doing every 3 months anyway, but added a detergent additive, Risolon, which did the trick. The tapping did not occur all late spring and summer since we had warm/hot temps, but now since the evenings are cool, the tapping has come back upon startup when cold in the morning. Once it disappears, it doesn't reoccur until startup the next morning. I have appt with Suzuki dealer service September 26 for the fall/winter months are upon us, and I am concerned about letting it go all winter. I am more concerned regarding what my total repair bill will be. Anyone have any info or help for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
pascalhatesworm, may regular tune-up ka ba sa makina mo? cguro malaki na ang valve clearance. kaya malakas ang tapping.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When i bought my 2005 Suki... I heard that right off the lot.. and 18,000 miles later and not worrying about it nothings happend... and thats most of the time living at 5 grand in the Rpm Scale

1 - 7 of 7 Posts