Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a rattle can give me a descent paint gob on my sami(body is descent)..or should i spend money on a spray gun..THANKS!!

·
Super Moderator
4,416 Posts
The spray can will give you spray can quality and a paint gun will give you paint gun quality. Can't make it any clearer then that :p

·
Registered
37 Posts
If by decent you mean looks like crap, then yes :lol:

Respect your Sammi and send her to a professional painter... You will be glad you did.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Uh O better get Macco.....

Get yerself a decent gun from Harbor freight or Northorn and learn to use it, it takes practice but it can be done. You will find that prep is 95% of the job.

Mike

O and for goodness sake wear a mask some of them paints will kill your lungs!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
Rattle cans are cheap & effective for small projects, if you try to paint an entire car with them, the results are not going to be an "automotive quality" paint job - and this is coming from someone with an entire shelf full of half empty rattle cans in varying colors, and who has used rattle cans for automotive trim & touch up.

I can't believe that someone used the term "decent gun" in the same sentence as Harbor Freight & Northern Tool - don't get me wrong, I love going in there, and browsing, and occasionally buying something - that would be a cheap gun, and you will get cheap results, but, by the time you've invested in a gun, compressor et all, it won't be a cheap paint job, especially if you have limited experience.

I do agree that prep work is what makes or breaks the job.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
What are your plans for the rig?
Are you gonna drive it on the street most of the time?
Are you going to thrash in the foliage (trees, bushes)?
Are you going to play on the rock trails?

A nice paint job will look great on the street and in the magazines, but if you are going to acquire lots of scratches (desert pinstriping around here) or the occasional dent from a half blind spotter, then you might want something you can touch up easily (rattlecan). It's alot easier on the nerves when you are trying to concentrate on the right line up the waterfall instead of worrying about whether the tree branch is going to scratch your door...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:Dwhat i have is fair black primer,what i want is a descent matte black, i drive my sami 1or 2 days a week and some mild offroading..mostly waiting for some big snow days to get us back and forth to work. i really like the way my sami looks just wanting to make it look better...thanks for the replies

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have read this an have to say that there is a third option that has not been discussed.

Bed Liner

You can get a cheap roll-on bed liner kit for less than 100 bucks and have a paint job that will not get scratched easily and still look pretty good. Roll-on bed liner paint is easy to do your self, one weekend and you can have a sharp looking rig.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can paint over it with normal paint but it can be rather hard to remove, that is the point of it after all.

A professional spray on type bed liner is pretty good stuff but you can get can get a DIY roll-on kit for not a whole lot of money just google roll-on bed liners and you will find several options.

As far as prep goes most only require you to do a lite sanding to get the shinny off the old pant then just paint over it.

A little time and effort and you can have a real nice looking rig if you use a DIY kit, I need to get a pic of mine up so you can see what you can do if you have the time and patience.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It depends on what product you go with, normally a colored paint will cost a little more than just black but not much more.

I went with a product called Grizzly Gripbut I don't think I would go with it again, it is not as thick as some of the others

As I said in an earlier post, google roll-on bed liners and you can find out a lot about them and explore the various options.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No, I have not but I looked at there website and it looks like a urethane based automotive style paint. It will probably look good if you get all your prep right and will be reasonably durable, but that is durable compared to other automotive style paints, one good tree limb and it will scratch.

The other problem I see is the price, that stuff is expensive, you can get a gallon of rust-oleum truck bed coating from wal-mart for $43.97 (see there web site) compere that to the $149.95 for a one gallon kit of the hot rod flatz paint. I think one gallon of ether will get you two coats of paint on a samurai

And for the hot rod flatz you are going to need a good air compressor (the standard 5hp 30 gl. compressor will not do it) and a good spray gun, if you plan to do it your self. The rust-oleum will need no more then a good paint roller, a cheap one will leave stuff behind in the paint, and a lot less prep work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok thanks hotrodsami, i may end up doing that,all i have i have is a small comperssor,and alot less prep work sounds pretty good too.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
... I too wanted to do a SATIN black on my sammi. But once I found out the costs and problems associated with an almost flat black vehicle, I decided to bed-line the whole thing (inside and out).

I used Raptor by Upol.
I bought two packages (one with spray gun).
... it comes with 4 bottles per package. I used 5 for inside and out.

I think it came out awesome. It's easy to clean, resists scratching, and looks tough. Much better then a flat or satin black, that still requires all the prep work as a normal color would take. Bed liner, takes some prep... but nothing like a regular "paint job".

Here's my posts about the spray on bed liner (sorry, site is down for maintenance so I could link you directly to the post. Only to my "build" thread);
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/build-diaries-how-to-diy/my-'92-sammi-in-the-works

1 - 20 of 23 Posts