Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm really struggling to get to the bottom of this one! As in the title, I have a rapid knocking/banging noise that I can hear and feel through the floor and the pedals (not the steering wheel) when I turn left relatively hard (as in around a sharp corner at fairly low speeds) and when I brake to a stop, from about 20MPH to zero. The sound and feel seems to be coming from the front right, it's definitely not coming from the rear. I have checked and replaced all the usual suspects over the last few weeks:

Suspension arms
Drop links
Anti roll bar inner bushes
Shocks/top mounts/bearings/bump stops (springs are fine)

Track rod ends have no play whatsoever.

There is nothing else suspension-wise that can be replaced! Every time I've replaced one or more of the above components, I've been convinced that it would be sorted but no luck so far :-(

I can't see how it can be brake related because it happens when turning left without braking. Obviously braking to a stop is causing the issue (placing load/stress on something) but it also happens when turning without braking.

I can't see it being CV joints, it's just not the right kind of noise and doesn't display the same kind of symptoms. The knocking only occurs when slowing/braking/turning, not accelerating. In my mind, this rules out CV joints/axles. Besides, I've had plenty of CV joints go bad on old cars years ago and that's more of a clicking noise, this is a hard banging.

I have recently had the gearbox rebuilt (layshaft bearing) and clutch replaced, I wonder if it could be related to the refitting of the gearbox? Perhaps a loose mounting? I can't see why this would only exhibit when braking or turning left though! So I don't think that's it, and I can't see or feel any loose mountings underneath.

I'm really stuck, do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
And steering rack mounts

Check engine mounts as well as the nasty rear transmission crossmember one that causes all sorts of funny knocks that sound like they are coming from a corner.

Reactions: harryharls

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Issue sorted and I feel like a complete idiot! I've just had a really thorough inspection of everything and anything that could be banging/knocking under there. In the end, after failing to find any bad mounts etc. I noticed that both front and middle exhaust hangers had rusted off so the exhaust was hanging loose (not noticeably so though tbh). When I pulled down slightly on the exhaust, lo and behold, there was a metal on metal noise, the bottom of the DPF was knocking against the subframe. I was seriously doubtful that this could be the issue as there wasn't any noticeable wear at the contact point, and it didn't seem loud or severe enough to cause the noise/feeling I'd been experiencing. Anyway, I rigged up a temporary hanging assembly, took it for a test drive (convinced that it wouldn't be the issue) and...silence.

Oh well, at least I've got nice new suspension at the front. Lesson learnt, as you say aquanaut: Dont just look and replace, test and diagnose.. :)

Many thanks for your advice, and apologies for wasting your time!

·
Registered
379 Posts
no new info of a possible problem is a waste of time. In fact its good advice to check that out before it happens.....

Reactions: harryharls
1 - 8 of 8 Posts