Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a K reg Vitara which works most of the time, but every so often, the lights will fade a bit on the dash and the power steering will stop working then the revs will slowly die and cut out. It seems to start up ok and then be fine for a while. Some garage is wanting to replace the gearbox which I think is a crazy idea. The gears do become a little stiff when it happens, but I don't think it will be this.

Any ideas on what I could check?

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
It's unlikely, that the gearbox is causing this, at least from your description. For those of us not in the UK, can you spec out your car, engine, tranny other than just 'K' reg??
When the lights start to dim, if you rev up the engine, do the lights go bright again - can you rev your way out of the stall??
When the car stalls, does it start up again right away?
Give some more info - presumably your check engine light goes on as the car stalls, which is normal - but is it normally on with the key on, and off once the car is running properly? Superficially, this sounds like an electrical issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's unlikely, that the gearbox is causing this, at least from your description. For those of us not in the UK, can you spec out your car, engine, tranny other than just 'K' reg??
When the lights start to dim, if you rev up the engine, do the lights go bright again - can you rev your way out of the stall??
When the car stalls, does it start up again right away?
Give some more info - presumably your check engine light goes on as the car stalls, which is normal - but is it normally on with the key on, and off once the car is running properly? Superficially, this sounds like an electrical issue.
Sorry for my reply, I didn't have thread subscription!

I'm not sure on the revving out of the stall as it's my mum driving and she probably wouldn't react quick enough to do that :p

I can confirm that it always starts right back up though. She'll be driving along just fine, then she said she can always tell when it's coming as the steering starts to become stiff, then minutes later it will stall when she comes to a stop but start up and generally be ok.

There isn't normally an engine light on when the issue isn't occurring.

I'll ask her to get the exact model number for you. Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
Ah, well the link for the GV is on the left - this side of the forum is for older cars, and not the Grand Vitara. However, generally, they will need to know if the issue is loss of spark, electrical, mechanical, etc., and one way of determining that is to find out if you can rev your way out of the bog, or if the car will stall anyway. When your mom is going to come to a stop, if she keeps her foot on the throttle to keep the revs up, will it still stall? She should try that, as that helps to determine where the problem may lie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts