Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1993 Geo Tracker 1.6 ltr 8 valve fuel injected.

I have a problem I cant seem to Fix . When I first start it revs to 1500 rpm until warm , about 5 mins. I drive about 10 mins in town idles down to about 750 rpm , then drive 25 mins on highway to get groceries , when I pull in to park now revving 1800-2000 rpm ! I shop for about 40 mins get back in start and is idiling down 750 , as soon as touch gas pedal goes right up to 2000 rpm with out even moving. I have changed the Temp sensor on the intake side with no change . its acts this way every time I drive it now. Seems if I don't on High way doesn't rev quite as high but still 1200 rpm.

Any help would be Great Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,877 Posts
First, regarding cold start, when you first start the 8v engine, it should rev to about 2000 rpm or so - and within 5 to 10 seconds, you should hear a very definite drop of about 500 rpm, as the throttle opener closes. Do you hear this? After that, the idle should slowly drop down to about 800 rpm, over the course of about t minutes, as the engine heats up. So, it would first appear from your post that the throttle opener is closed - it is normally open by default, and closes as the ECU comes online.
When your engine is warmed up and revving high, take a pliers or similar and pinch each of the vacuum hoses that you see. None of those vacuum hoses, other than the one coming from the air pipe by the air filter, to the idle solenoid valve, should cause a change in idle. If one does, you have found a vacuum leak on that circuit.
I would also check to see if the throttle cable isn’t binding or kinked somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I found my problem. While I was checking for vacuum leaks [ witch I found none ] I pushed the spring on the throttle body where the cable attaches and it slowed down, I checked the cable and it is not tight, but if I let go of the spring on the throttle body it springs back and revs up. Is thi a ECU issue ? I hope not.

·
Super Moderator
23,877 Posts
I wouldn’t think it’s an ECU issue, but from what you’re saying, a cable/mechanical issue....???? The ECU only really deals with emissions circuits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found my problem it was a ripped vacuum line on the intake side that didn't react when pinched. Thanks for your help !

·
Super Moderator
23,877 Posts
Thanks for posting back, and glad that you got you issue sorted. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts