Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a couple of times months apart that the remote radio buttons on the steering wheel have started to behave funny. It's lasted a short time then it's fine again. The buttons on the radio itself always work properly but the remote has a mind of it's own. The sort of thing that happens is that pressing volume up changes the radio station. Pressing mute does nothing but changing the station causes the radio to go mute. It's happening more and more and disconnecting the battery for a few hours hasnt stopped it happening. Not the end of the world but the buttons on the radio are so small that it's dangerous to try using them when motoring. Any suggestions please.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've noticed a couple of times months apart that the remote radio buttons on the steering wheel have started to behave funny. It's lasted a short time then it's fine again. The buttons on the radio itself always work properly but the remote has a mind of it's own. The sort of thing that happens is that pressing volume up changes the radio station. Pressing mute does nothing but changing the station causes the radio to go mute. It's happening more and more and disconnecting the battery for a few hours hasnt stopped it happening. Not the end of the world but the buttons on the radio are so small that it's dangerous to try using them when motoring. Any suggestions please.
Is this a Bosch or Pioneer infotainment unit?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Mine sometimes changes channel or reverts to FM - I've always assumed that was due to poor signal

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Bad connection in the steering column or clock spring? I'm not sure if they are a resistance matrix, but if they are that would account for the symptoms if the radios sensing the wrong resistance when the button is pressed, its thinking its another button.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Bad connection in the steering column or clock spring? I'm not sure if they are a resistance matrix, but if they are that would account for the symptoms if the radios sensing the wrong resistance when the button is pressed, its thinking its another button.
The radio remote operates by inputting a different resistance for each function. However the steering wheel controls are basically a series of on / off signals that go via the clock spring to an interface box (sometimes called an adaptor box). It's the interface box that converts the on / off signals to resistance signals for the radio. A fault with the steering wheel buttons or clock spring will give problems, but wrong resistance type issues (controls going haywire) are usually caused by a faulty interface or loose / dirty connections on the patch lead between the interface and the radio. The interface box will be in the loom just behind the radio and in the first instance I'd check that all connections between the interface and radio are clean and secure. If this doesn't solve the problem then I'd replace the interface box. There are loads of different interface boxes with different connections so I'd get a replacement from Suzuki.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Hmmm, interesting, most of the ones I have worked on here have the resistance decades up in the switch themselves and 2 wires to the radio from the switches via the clock spring
Admittedly i have never had to delve into the new model ingnis radio or its controls yet.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,254 Posts
Drinking and driving, distracted driving !!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled the radio back a little this morning and cleaned the connections on the interface box. The jack plug that connects the box to the radio was a bit loose so taped it in place in case it's moving about. All seemed hunky dory on the test drive but then the remote control went haywire on the way home. Just called in the Suzuki parts department to order a new interface. It not an available part according to them so theyre contacting Suzuki. The part number I got off the box doesnt come up with anything!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Pulled the radio back a little this morning and cleaned the connections on the interface box. The jack plug that connects the box to the radio was a bit loose so taped it in place in case it's moving about. All seemed hunky dory on the test drive but then the remote control went haywire on the way home. Just called in the Suzuki parts department to order a new interface. It not an available part according to them so theyre contacting Suzuki. The part number I got off the box doesnt come up with anything!!
What's the part number on the interface box please?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Box is part number CA-R-SUZ.195P
This is a Pioneer part and doesn't appear on the Ignis parts list!
Automotive lighting Cable Electrical wiring Wire Data transfer cable

This interface has been used on many Suzuki models equipped with Pioneer infotainment units as far back as 2005 (Swift, Vitara, SX4 Baleno etc). Other brands of infotainment units use a different interface. As expected, the interface is not listed on Suzuki's spares list. It's not listed in Pioneers UK parts book and it doesn't look as if the part is sold in the UK but it is available in Germany - so sourcing a replacement interface may be a bit of a convoluted process!!
Photograph White Light Product Font

However it does appear that there's an issue with this particular interface when used with a newish Infotainment unit. This is related to variable supply voltage particularly on cars with a smart alternator. The remedy (or at least something worth trying) is to pick up a stabilised voltage to feed the inhibitor. On the Ignis it's easy to utilise terminal 6 on the last drawing to feed the red cable input on the inhibitor. This output would normally be used on other cars to signal an electric aerial or to feed an aerial amplifier.

Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram Brand

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The radio remote has driven me nuts over the last two days so I’m going to try the wiring mod tomorrow. If it’s not good news what do you suggest I do next? Thanks for the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts