Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to car audio installation, but I'm pretty confident I have most of it figured out other than removing the 2 silver trim pieces on each side of the radio. From other threads I gathered that these must be removed to access stereo mounting screws.

1. Is it silly to try removing these plastic pieces without some sort of special tool?
2. I'm assuming I start at the bottom and work my way up?
3. What is the trick to get the clips to release without breaking the trim and then getting really angry at yourself...?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed the trim by using a credit card and a bent clip removing tool. The tool is "J" shaped and used to remove door trim clips but I used it. Slide the credit card between the dash and the trim then slide the tool in. This kept from damaging the dash. Start at bottom and work toward the top.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
That's pretty much the only way to do it. Grab and pull. Feels like it will break, but I've done MANY now and haven't broke a single one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's pretty much the only way to do it. Grab and pull. Feels like it will break, but I've done MANY now and haven't broke a single one.
Yup, I did an install today on my SX4 and they do feel like there going to break. Just take your time and use a steady pull, don't jerk them and they'll pop right off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
These costs $250 each trimming so don't mess them up. Take a sharp flathead. Wrap it around with a rag or the thin cloth you use to clean your glasses. Then wedge it in softly and it will pop out slowly.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
By far the best investment I've made ($10). Almost impossible to damage customer vehicles with this, yet it is very strong and makes popping off trim panels so easy. Just jam that tool in between the chrome and the radio/HVAC and it pops right off...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts