Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 Tracker never has had a radio. I would like to take out the radio blank as well as the ashtray and lighter panel below and install a modern unit, perhaps with flat screen or ???. I'd like radio and GPS and maybe CD or USB for thumb drive or aux audio input? Rear camera?
Also thinking about stereo speakers in the rear hatch and maybe subs in the rear side fender wells?
Anyone done this kind of thing or can offer suggestions? I can do the work myself but don't want to reinvent the wheel or make a lot of mistakes others already have 8-(( Budget is less than $1k. for all.
Ideas or experiences appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I helped a buddy swap out a double-DIN in his Porsche, he said he learned everything from youTube videos. Probably some good tips you can find there for the modern pieces you mentioned. Since most of that would not be stock, should be the same process you'd use for any car.

I still use a stock Suzuki head unit with but with upgraded components. Upgraded stock size speakers in all 4 locations. I added a 4-channel class-D amp and a class-D compact sub under driver seat. Everything but the sub fits behind dash. That combo has good enough sound for me doing open top highway cruising, but you may have a different purpose in mind.

I know there was a dash change for Suzuki, but not sure if sheetmetal was affected. If not, you can probably find a new/used dash panel with double-DIN stereo. Someone with more interchange experience would need to confirm.

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
Your 91 Tracker is what’s called ‘single DIN’ meaning that the area for the radio is half the height of what TXgraeme is talking about. In order for you to put in the type of system that you want, you may want to try finding a center piece from a newer Trackick which would be double din - although I don’t know if this would actually be a direct fit. How do you plan to remodel the area below the double din radio, so that it doesn’t look like a hack job??

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
single din with slide out flip up screen is a possibility

·
Registered
5,299 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, a flip out single-DIN would have some good options. Probably can find a model that would do anything you need.

I checked and the 96-98 models can fit the bigger head units but no dash parts would interchange. The 92-95 models have the oddly sized GM "international" they did for a few years, that would fit a bigger stereo but nobody makes one as far as I know. I apologize for the bad advice, some years looked double-DIN in pics I saw but I was confused. And thanks for cleaning up some of my notes, Bex.

Here is one example of a video showing modern head unit put in an old Tracker:
It's a later model so they can fit the bigger head unit, but if you put a flip unit then would be same otherwise. Also discusses some additional things like sub and amp wiring.

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
Ugh...I have a difficult time watching ‘WatchJRGo’....lol

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Oh, painful video, that's what fast forward is for right?
It's a lot easier than they made it look. LOL!!

I replaced the stereo's in both the 94 & 99 Trackers.
The single Din in the 94 is clear without any issues and I love the backup cam.

I'm looking for one with GPS for the 99, sadly, it went away when visitors were looking through my cars for change.
If it would have been back in the dash rather than sitting on the passenger seat. . . . .

but, hey life is good!!

Also, little sub-woofer in the 94 8" box way in the back.
Giant 12" in the 99.

Enjoy the upgrade and the upgrading!!

Don

^_^

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, finding useful information on YouTube can certainly try one's patience. I would only recommend it when you have plenty of free time available.

Don, is your Single-DIN with camera a flip unit or does it display directly on dash panel?

I recently installed a backup camera on my '84 Toyota, but used a replacement rear-view mirror and kept the stock radio. You can find both camera and GPS mirror units if anyone is looking for other options.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh, painful video, that's what fast forward is for right?
No truer words, Donewrken. Many good videos on YouTube, but I find most 20-30 minute tutorials could have been done in 3 minutes flat without sacrificing the pertinent information. Most have way too much fluff and done by YouTube star wannabe types.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
It's just the single Din, no flip up.

I did get a rear view mirror with front view but it's too big for the Tracker and will probably go in the truck.

I have a small front cam that hides nicely behind the stock rear view mirror.

Lots of good finds on Amazon.

Don

^_^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts