Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Loganator said:
they dont work.. I just got a ticket today, fucker never went off.. and I have a $150 cobra, damn lasers.
They do work, you just have to know what bands are used. Plus the cop may have gotten you with something else, that the radar dectector did not pick up, like a laser gun.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Loganator said:
they dont work.. I just got a ticket today, fucker never went off.. and I have a $150 cobra, damn lasers.
colton615 said:
I am planning to be getting a rader detector soon. (can't afford to get another ticket in the next 6 months) does anybody know of any good ones around three hundred dollas that dont have alot of false alarms.
Mine does laser, but I have to keep it toned down, and as jurupa said, gotta make sure your not squelching out a band they use. To many false alarms. Most of the time now, they pace you. No alarm, no warning. They don't need to pace you for long, or at your exact speed. If your doing 60 in a 40, they can pace you at 50 or 55 before they get you.

My sugestion is to play it cool.Maybe play some slower music, or what ever to help keep your foot off the gas. Might help your wallet also

·
Registered
338 Posts
yeah, mine has laser detection and all bands, but I think these guys use the ones that shoot in short bursts.. so it doesnt always pick them up. Plus I was going 56 in a 35.. I got away with a 5 over ticket though, so I cant really complain. though I didnt realize it was a 35 zone.. and the cop was parked just before I saw the speed sign, so he figured I was slowing down because I saw him... partially true, lol. I disagree with speedlimits anyway, if I am able to control my car at 56 on that road, I should be able to go that fast, its just a way for the state to get their hands in our pockets, rather than fixing the economy they up the traffic fines.

and Colton if you want one, Ill give you a good deal on mine.. its less than a month old, but now I got a traffic fine to pay, I need money, lol.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Loganator said:
I disagree with speedlimits anyway, if I am able to control my car at 56 on that road, I should be able to go that fast, its just a way for the state to get their hands in our pockets, rather than fixing the economy they up the traffic fines.
I think the point was, not if the car was stable, but can it stop in time. 35 tends to be driveways, side streets, and close to comercial and residential

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
You can get the 2nd best radar detector on the market for about $300 bux. I'm on my laptop in the car so I can't pull up the exact name (internets too slow) but its the one listed in my garage (if its even still listed). Just try a google search for cobra 8500. I know theres something else to the name but that should find it.

It was the best detector untill a few months ago they came out with a better one. I've had it for about a year...works the best. Still dont count on it, in my opinion it works 100% of the time if they have a laser gun out, works for most sheriffs even if they aren't clocking speeders, and works for a good amount of highway patrol (less than half), and few few city cops.

The other thing is it doesnt always work in time. On the way to/back from CALI is when it works beautifully for me. I've driven there or back about 5 times with it and its worked almost everry time except when a cop came up behind me after it went off when I passed him (they dont work so well if they come up from behind). Nearly every time out on the open highway there it worked 1-10miles before I saw the cop.

Now it still has allot of false alarms, they go off from some stores security systems. You can tell it to not go off for that partiuclar band of laser but rarley cops use it and I dont wanna take the risk. In my area of town I know where every false alarm is so it doesnt bother me.

Loganator said:
. I disagree with speedlimits anyway, if I am able to control my car at 56 on that road, I should be able to go that fast, its just a way for the state to get their hands in our pockets, rather than fixing the economy they up the traffic fines.
Except that pretty much every driver goes through that stage where they start getting good at driving and they think they're invincable when in reality they still suck at driving.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Loganator said:
I disagree with speedlimits anyway, if I am able to control my car at 56 on that road, I should be able to go that fast,
Man I just love your logic. Just because you can handle that speed does not mean other people can in the same area. Plus like Zipper said can you stop in time if something happen in front of you? My guess it is no. Speed limits are set at certain numbers because that is generally the best speed for the area. Plus it is a safety thing as well.

its just a way for the state to get their hands in our pockets, rather than fixing the economy they up the traffic fines.
I am not trying to start another "fight", but the state nor any government can fix the economy. They can influence it, but thats it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, I have an older radar detector.

What I have found is that it's good for is picking up signals from cameras. While it does give false alarms, I don't get too bent out of shape about it - better to be safe than sorry, after all.

The only thing I would caution is not to get too cocky if you do pick one up. Like was mentioned, it's possible for cops to pace you.
Besides, nowadays, with so many driving unmarked cars, it's easy to get pulled over for speeding.

My boyfriend was out driving with a friend when they came upon a Charger. He watched as another car, Honda I believe, decided to try to race it. Unfortunately, it was a bad decision because he was pulled over for speeding.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Zipper said:
I found that sliding doors will set them off
Which is a good way to see if a place is open or not.:p But I do wonder why sliding doors set yours off, as the motion sensor is aimed no more than five feet from the door.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a cobra, with VG-2,. I have to have it, right now I have a suspended license. And I have never been able to drive the speed limit. As far as I know, those speed limit signs say, "the suggested speed limit is..." So I take that as the suggestion that I can go beyond that. That thinking has led to my license getting suspended... Anyways, soon none of the radar detectors will work, as cops switch to the new technology, It is called "Ladar" But I am sure the will be a new detector for that to too far behind.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
jurupa said:
Which is a good way to see if a place is open or not.:p But I do wonder why sliding doors set yours off, as the motion sensor is aimed no more than five feet from the door.
No... they work at five feet, they set detectors off much farther from that. The signal only had to go one way in the detectors case

·
Registered
165 Posts
I disagree with speedlimits anyway, if I am able to control my car at 56 on that road, I should be able to go that fast
If your thinking doesn't change from maturity, then it will change the instant you have children. There has been many instances I am glad I was doing the speed limit when a child ran out in front of my car and I WAS able to stop in time. There are reasons for the limit being placed low in residential areas. Just remember there is a time and place for everything!:cool:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
jaxreno said:
If your thinking doesn't change from maturity, then it will change the instant you have children. There has been many instances I am glad I was doing the speed limit when a child ran out in front of my car and I WAS able to stop in time. There are reasons for the limit being placed low in residential areas. Just remember there is a time and place for everything!:cool:
I agree. YOu may be able to control in a streight line at that speed, but others cant, or will not see you coming, or you cant stop, or the worse yet, you cant stop, and the car goes unballanced, throwing you around the road like a pinball machine

1 - 20 of 21 Posts