Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And it only had 230,000 miles on it.:(

My daughter was driving my 99 GV (2.5 engine, auto transmission) after the big snowstorm recently. She got too close to the edge of the road, hidden under the snow that had not been completely plowed. Her front tire caught, and the snow "pulled" her up a slight embankment, enough to flip the GV neatly on it's top. She was completely unhurt, not even a scratch, thank goodness. She says it's because she was wearing her seatbelt, and the GV is one tough vehicle.

I'm having it towed back to the house since the repair estimate is close to $10,000 and I don't think it's worth quite that much. I have another almost identical 99 GV, with the only difference being it is a straight shift. Otherwise, it's the same color with the same options. So now I have a spare parts car.

I'm going to miss it, though.

Ron

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,264 Posts
Sorry to hear, but thank the lord that the girl is OK...

I had a 360* roll over last winter, they were going to write her off, 5 days in the driveway, $150.00 in supplies and a couple of new toys (tools)

She has been up and running all yr.. Just a couple of ripples in the side and hood (viewed against the light) remain.

If the A pillars are intact and the box is square, the rest can be stretched and hammered flat..

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Lucky girl! :eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
hey did it have a cd changer?? i would like to buy radio and cd changer tray. let me know. its a donor vehicle. let others live thru it... lol!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, and should I fix it?

96GEOTRAK: Sorry. Stock radio and no CD of any kind.

Max: Definitely lucky, but the toughness of the GV and the fact that she was wearing her seat belt made her "luckier." Too many instances of young people being ejected from vehicles around here in a rollover or crash, with tragic results. She's been buckled in from the time she was a baby and automatically buckles up.

Philip: Thanks. We all were saying a prayer of thanks. As for the Grand Vitara, the front and back doors open normally, though the driver's side fender is pushed back a little. The roof is slightly bowed above the windshield (which is cracked), and the hood has a slight dent where it was sitting on its top. What kind of new toys did you get? Fixing it is very tempting, though my wife says we have too many vehicles already.

Even though she was shaken up by the crash, there came a point when I think she was getting a little annoyed by all the hugs from her mom and dad. That didn't stop us, though.

After it was towed back to a lot beside the house, I checked all the fluids and they seemed okay except for the transmission fluid. I could tell it leaked out through the filler tube, and I had to add 2 quarts before the transmission would engage. It started and ran okay, but when I drove it the couple of hundred feet to the house, there was a James Bond type smoke cloud behind the vehicle. It seemed to subside a little after I got it parked.

Are there any other potential problems after resting on its top for an hour or so? Anything that might make fixing it not worthwhile?

Ron

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would make sure to check that the battery didn't leak. The smoke screen should go away if there was no damage. Probably just oil that seeped past rings while up-side down. Ask daughter if she shut off engine or if it died when it went over. If it ran upside down no oil to engine. Best of luck. If wife don't want you to "fix" it. Turn it into a rock crawler!!!!!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,264 Posts
Philip: Thanks. We all were saying a prayer of thanks. As for the Grand Vitara, the front and back doors open normally, though the driver's side fender is pushed back a little. The roof is slightly bowed above the windshield (which is cracked), and the hood has a slight dent where it was sitting on its top. What kind of new toys did you get? Fixing it is very tempting, though my wife says we have too many vehicles already.
Hi Ron,

That would defiantly be a project I would tackle.

Neither front doors would open more than a couple of inches on mine, dented hood, crunched front driver fender, Creased (vertical, enough to inhibit window) driver door, dented left rear Qtr..

I added a stud welder, a pulling lever, pneumatic dent kit, and an air brd sander... to my kit..

..... Philip

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I added a stud welder, a pulling lever, pneumatic dent kit, and an air brd sander... to my kit..

..... Philip
Philip,

Nice. Those items would definitely help with the body repair.

I'm not going to make a decision just yet. I've removed tags and insurance from it and parked it in a field next to the house. I'll start and drive it around the field occasionally to keep it in running condition and decide when the weather is not controlled by a polar vortex.

Ron

·
Registered
80 Posts
hey did it have a cd changer?? i would like to buy radio and cd changer tray. let me know. its a donor vehicle. let others live thru it... lol!!!
I see you are from Rock Island. I'm across the river in Davenport. Yesterday my 2000 Grand VITARA LIMITED was deemed by mechanic at North Brady Imports to have a broken timing chain. In the process of the break it damaged/dropped a couple valves which ruined two pistons. So motor is shot. (160,000 miles). Dealing with extended warranty department for a policy that was still active before we paid the loan off last year. Mechanic is having problems locating a used motor as cost of replacing excedes warranty $ amount.What a nightmare so far.... so depending on the outcome with the warranty end I may be sitting on a GVL with blown motor, excellent shape otherwise. So if you or anyone needs a Parts vehicle this is the one....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry to hear IASukiGVL. :(

You could try...
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Or coerce 96GEOTRAK into giving up his (now) spare engine. :rolleyes:
Thanks Max for the link. You've always been a wealth of help and info when I've read through the forum. It is somewhat depressing. It was always reliable and used in the winters here a lot. Will check out your link.

I'm into classic VW's, have two other vehicles besides the VWs. So we have additional transportation covered.

I sent him a PM with my info, so depending on the outcome with warranty company, I've made the offer to him if he wants to purchase it.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
I'm into classic VW's
I was too, and I miss them. :(

Back in the day I took a 66' bug 1300 CC and opened her up with 1500 jugs. Machined an undersize crank pulley and made my own oil cooler adapter and external mounted cooler. Added the "Fram" oil filter kit as well.

Had a 64' Campmobile (w/o the pop-top) and then a 68' bug while stationed in Guam.

I'd love to have a...

Do you watch American Pickers? Mike is into V-Dubs BIG time. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was too, and I miss them. :(

Back in the day I took a 66' bug 1300 CC and opened her up with 1500 jugs. Machined an undersize crank pulley and made my own oil cooler adapter and external mounted cooler. Added the "Fram" oil filter kit as well.

Had a 64' Campmobile (w/o the top-top) and then a 68' bug while stationed in Guam.

I'd love to have...

Do you watch American Pickers? Mike is into V-Dubs BIG time. ;)
I own two Bay Window Buses. A 71 with a 1641 dual port. And a 79 2000 fuel injected. Love them both. And the 79 gets used tons in the warm weather. Both hibernate in the garage in the winter. Lol

And I don't watch Pickers, but have been to the Leclaire location for their shop and chatted with Mike there once.

That pic you posted in the infamous $221,000 Bus that started the upward price increase in these old Vws. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts