Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I buy a clutch replacement kit what parts should be included in the kit?
I'm looking to e-bay to purchase the kit.
I'm told a few different things about the contents.
I'm after a kit that my neighbour and I can install for a "proper job".
I'm going to tow a camping trailer and my clutch is a bit suspect.
Better to do it now rather than regret it later.
The car in question is a 2004 GV 2.5L SQ625 manual.
Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
A clutch "kit" is comprised of the pressure plate, disc, actuator bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool. Those are the must haves.

2004 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA Clutch Kit

Additionally, one should have the engine's flywheel professionally machined (resurfaced) to renew the currently worn friction area.

Also "bleed" / renew the clutch cylinder fluids during the operation, as a final gesture.

The procedure is a somewhat lengthy one requiring transmission removal and associated interference items, more so if 4WD.

This is also a golden opportunity to replace the rear main crank seal IF there is an indication of oil leakage noted when the flywheel is removed for resurfacing.

This earlier Service Manual discusses the whole replacement procedure.
http://www.mediafire.com/?cvrt1rfoso8t8

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
Given the amount of labor involved in the job - this is one time you need to ask yourself if you want to go ebay for the parts.

There's one, may be two more parts I'd like to suggest you have on hand, and these I doubt you'll find on ebay - the clutch release fork and the bolt it pivots on - these would not normally be considered as "wear" items that need replacement, however, they do wear, and the clutch fork sometimes cracks right at the pivot point, so when you have the transmission out, clean and examine yours carefully - hold it up to the light, that may be the only way to see the crack.

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
What sort of mileage and duty use has your clutch been subjected to? If only normal usage and without any sort of abuse, then they are very hardy items capable of thousands of miles. I have 279,000 (gently used) miles on mine. ;)

My point is, the clutch is subjected to only above average tasking when "pulling off" from when the vehicle is at rest. The low gearing of the Zuk helps out tremendously at that point, then you follow through with smooth, almost frictionless advances up the gear range. Only poor take-off techniques, overloaded pull weights, inappropriate "riding" of the clutch or repeated "stop and go" driving will cause elevated clutch wear.

You should probably be more concerned with the increased engine load and condition of your brakes, more so than the clutch.

Spend the money on synthetic gear oils for the trans and differentials, ensure that the coolant system is in peak operating condition and the brake components are in top notch shape, is my suggestion. :)

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mostly well treated.

I am the third owner of this car. The more I tinker with it I've come to realise it must have been in an accident at some time.
Well put back together but not perfectly. Other than that it's in superb condition.
Milage is 150,000KLM. Suffering from a bit from clutch shudder. Replacing the clutch is precautionary as we will be doing our dream trip and don't want any mishaps.
Whether the clutch is still good or not is not a factor. It's the peace of mind knowing it's not a concern during the trip.
Can't fault anything else so at least I've done my pre trip prep as well as I could.
I did replace the headlight globes with IPF "fat boys". These are an incredible globe. Over 3000 lumen output. Available cheaper from ARB than e-bay.
Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts