Suzuki Forums banner

Quick & Easy Brake Question

3K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  tlctracker76 
#1 ·
Still sorting through probs on my 1st Zuk.
'94 Sidekick, 4x4, 5-spd, 1.6L 8V, 300k mi.

The brakes are spongy but not to the point of being dangerous. What have you all experienced with your brakes? Some vehicles tend to be like this. 88-98 GM trucks come to my mind. Do Sidekicks come with spongy brakes or should I start sorting through them. I plan to bleed them regardless but need a point of reference. Just FYI it doesn't pull or feel uneven under braking.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I should think that it just needs bleeding but its worth checking that the front callipers move freely on the sliders and that there are no leaks from the rear cylinders.

#3 ·
I know what you're talking about with the spongy brakes on other cars, but the brakes on my Tracker are actually pretty solid feeling. But it did have new front calipers and rear lines just before I got it.

#4 ·
Rhino,

I've had all 4 wheels off including the rear drums. No seepage or wet areas around the rear cylinders. I think the fronts are moving as they should and are dry as well. Guess I'll start with bleeding next time I have help available.

Also, on a rather embarrassing note, where is the fill plug on my transfer case. I've found 2 or 3 potential candidates. None of them are square drive plugs like the drain. I've got the manual tranny sorted out but the t-case stumped me. I read in another thread not to mistake the fill for some particular bolt. Got me running scared. I suspect the case is low since it's a bit leaky. Suggestions or advice?

#6 ·
I would suspect moisture in the brake lines causing the spongy feeling.

On the T case always remove the fill plug first in case you want to fill it again. ;)

#7 ·
Good point Gumby. Luckily I did take the fill plug out of the tranny 1st for a level check. It's pretty low. Decided I better do the same on the t-case but I'm just not sure which one is the fill since there's no obvious square drive plug on the side of the case. There has been quite a bit of questionable work done to my little rig well before any of mine.

I know it sounds stupid but I've seen people do stupid things. I had a guy working for me once. Told him to check/service the front diff on a backhoe. He asked me how. Told him top plug to check/fill. Bottom is drain. He pulled the drain, as the check plug, while directly under it. In all seriousness he came out with his entire head coated in dirty, black gear oil. The only clean place was behind his safety glasses. I don't want to be that guy.

#8 ·
Have you bled the brakes as Rhino said? That would eliminate air and moisture. If that doesn't do it, consider old brake hose replacement.

#9 ·
No, Ranger, I haven't but it's on my to do list. Need a helper for that. I know how to do it by myself but I prefer having someone pump the pedal.

I hadn't considered moisture as a potential prob as several have suggested. I'm sure that would start me onto a whole new path of probs. I really hope it's just air. The master cylinder appears to have been replaced at some point which could be air in the lines.

#10 ·
Still sorting through probs on my 1st Zuk.
'94 Sidekick, 4x4, 5-spd, 1.6L 8V, 300k mi.
With 300k mi how many times do you think the brake fluid has been changed?

You can try bleeding first but if it is moisture changing the fluid is the only way I know to resolve it.

But if you do a forum search you may find a recent thread where the poster had to replace the master cylinder (I think).

#11 · (Edited)
Are you losing any brake fluid (even the smallest amount)? The master cylinder can leak internally, so that you wouldn't see brake fluid dripping anywhere near the brakes or pipes.
For transfer case filler hole location, check out page 6 here:
Ack's FAQ Tracker Factory Service Manual Transfer Case

#12 ·
Bex,

I haven't found any obvious leaks or wet spots in the brake system. I haven't chased the lines 100% but I've looked around the master cylinder & at the wheels closely. I do need to look more closely underneath for damaged hard lines or fittings but in looking there briefly, nothing. I have checked the fluid a few times at the master cylinder and the level appears steady. But even a very slight leak (i.e. barely noticeable fluid change) could be possible. I have brakes and they are consistent but there is a lot of pedal travel before they engage.

Also, thanks for the link on the t-case. It confirmed what I suspected but wasn't sure. The plug has been replaced with some bolt that looks suspiciously out of place. I suspect I'm in for a fight there.

#13 ·
Brake fluid easily absorbs moisture. I most probably would bleed the system properly and put in new fluid, and then see if the brake problem persists.

#14 ·
Bex
That seems to be the consensus so I'll go that route.

As for the fill plug on my t-case it's a lost cause. Someone has run a large bolt into the hole then sealed around it with JB Weld of all things. Zero chance of it coming out & going back in. I plan on installing crawler gears so I'll address the plug then. I just hope it isn't dry.

Thanks as always

#15 ·
Bex

As for the fill plug on my t-case it's a lost cause. Someone has run a large bolt into the hole then sealed around it with JB Weld of all things. Zero chance of it coming out & going back in. I plan on installing crawler gears so I'll address the plug then. I just hope it isn't dry.

Thanks as always
That is about the dumbest thing I have heard of in a long time..lol! (sealing the fill plug.

#17 ·
Something's gotta be done with the fill plug, but I'd be concerned with thread shavings ending up in the gears. Any way to do that without tearing down the unit?

The PO of mine had JB welded the pressure tube coming from the fuel pump. Didn't last long.

#18 ·
Peculiar, if it makes you feel any better they did something very similar to the fill on the front diff. I may be able to salvage it but... I dunno. It's not quite as ugly as the t-case.

If I were to get the bolt/plug out of the t-case (or front diff for that matter) the tap shavings would definitely be a concern. 2 options I know are putting grease on the tap and going very slowly cleaning the tap often. 2nd, most likely coupled with the 1st, is fill the case with diesel fuel and flush it through several times. I've flushed diffs and drop boxes on tractors that way before with reasonable success. I'm open to any & all suggestions tho.

#19 ·
Oh and one more thing just to vent. If you think JB Weld is a good solution think again. I've never seen it used in any fashion that didn't create future probs. My Kick's t-case & diff are good cases in point. I've driven past the home of the inventor of JB Weld many times. One of these days I'm going to give him the finger. Apologies to the JB Weld fan club but I REALLY hate that stuff.

#20 ·
The best way to bleed brakes is with a power bleeder (air pressure) or a vacuum bleeder. Both make it a "one man" operation. There are web pages on home-made power bleeders on the Internet.

Note that most kinds of brake fluid are designed to absorb moisture to reduce the possibility of the "fluid" boiling and becoming a gas/vapor... causing loss of brakes under hard use. It also helps keep the brakes from freezing up.... from either rust or cold weather.

BUT... that means the fluid eventually absorbs so much moisture that the fluid becomes the CAUSE of the above problems, So... the brake fluid should be replaced from time to time. In the long run it will save you money as the brake parts will rust up... from the insides if left with old fluid. Power Bleeding is also the best way to replace the brake fluid. With a vacuum bleeder you have to keep checking the master cylinder reservoir... you do not EVER want it to run dry and suck air! 8o

As for a home-made power bleeder: Here is the first site Listed by google: Creating your own power brake bleeder kit - FSB Forums
As it has been many years... this site is NOT the site I used to make mine.

#21 ·
Thanks Mike. That is a genius setup. I will be building one of those. I've seen people use a tall, narrow bottle or flower vase. Take a hose from the bleed screw into the vase (partially full of brake fluid) and start slowly pumping. Keeps any air from being pulled back in and uses less fluid being narrow diameter. But forget that. The sprayer is the deal.

#22 ·
I built one of the sprayers like 12 years ago. Haven't adapted it to the Tracker yet but will when I need to. I've tried many ways and the sprayer is the way to go. Vacuum or even the vase method (or even Speedbleeders) has the chance to suck air around the bleeder fitting so it gets you nowhere. Real brake shops use a positive pressure method similar to the sprayer too.

If I don't have the sprayer or a willing assistant, my next best method is a 2x4 or other object jammed between the pedal and seat, so the seat provides the push but doesn't let the board fall out or the pedal pop up. Then go open and close the bleeder, repeat as needed. I've done this many many times.

#23 ·
Good point TLC. The old board/broomstick, etc jammed against the pedal is tried and true. I'm too cheap to go buy a professional rig (besides it'll just sit around) but the spray rig is both a cheap & fun looking project. I like building things like that. But as I said earlier I hate brake work. I never feel like I've got it all in order when I'm done. The pressure system of the spray rig may help my confidence there. Mechanical things don't intimidate me except for brakes. Also, I should say I like all the folks chiming in with tips & tricks. I'm never gonna say I know the best way but someone out there surely does.

#24 ·
I was rereading some of the posts and you said the pedal has a lot of travel before the brakes engage.

Is the pedal actually spongy and soft feeling and finally the brakes engage but it still feels soft? Then that leads to air in the lines or a leak or sometimes bad hoses, any of which would require a bleed.

Or does the pedal have a lot of travel, but once that travel is used up and the brakes engage, do they feel pretty solid? Then that leads to usually the rear brake shoes being out of adjustment.

#25 ·
TLC, it's a bit hard to say. If I had to choose though I'd go more with long travel then a fairly firm feel at engagement. The pedal is seemingly consistent in terms of feel and brake action. I will say I haven't had to brake hard and have driven it rather carefully. But when I brake it seems like down, down, down then brakes. I have a sneaking suspicion that if I really pressed them they might not have much left to give. I also realize my description is hard to follow and isn't much help. It's just hard to explain. My only reference point is I've had several mid 90's Chevy trucks and they had a similarly long travel with poor feel. They were all inherently that way though. That was really my question initially. Do Trackicks tend to just have a soft pedal or are they typically good and tight with a more precise feel? I need a reference point but do suspect they aren't quite right. I've looked at all the pads/brake shoes & calipers/cylinders and all seems ok visually.

#26 · (Edited)
Down, down, down, then brakes. That sounds like rear brakes out of adjustment with too much shoe travel. But one other thing. Are your front wheel bearings loose at all? If not then great. But if they are, then they can push the pads away from the rotors and makes for more pedal travel needed.

I've dealt a lot with similar era GM cars, and would think their trucks are similar this way. The rear brakes are supposed to self adjust when you hit the brakes in reverse, but far too often the adjuster gets corroded and stuck. On my cars I hated the rear drums so much I converted to rear disc. On my van I freed up the adjusters real good then they went crazy so I ended up just mild loctiting the freaking things and I adjust them manually when I swap the snows on or off.

I haven't worked on Tracker brakes yet but according the FSM it's different but works similarly. An adjuster between the shoes under the wheel cylinder that is supposed to ratchet. If you haven't already, I'd pull the drums and make sure the adjusters actually work. Then adjust the shoes with the ratchet adjuster so they just barely contact the drum but don't drag it down. The FSM says it's supposed to adjust with 3-5 brake pumps but I'd get it close manually first. Then see if it improves your pedal.

#27 ·
TLC,
my front bearings don't have any noticeable slack in them though I doubt they are tip-top. I spent some time yesterday looking at disc conversion kits while thinking about this. I found that prices vary quite a lot on the kits which is a red flag to me. I'll need to do more research in that regard. But if it's cheap enough I may go that route. I haven't touched the adjusters so they could be frozen. I just despise brakes, particularly drums, and the more I think about it the less confidence I have. I may just go buy some wheel chocks and a boat anchor.

#28 ·
A rear disc conversion is often done most cheaply from a similar vehicle, but I don't know these vehicles enough for that. I've actually designed two custom disc setups for my trailers too.

Well so far my brakes have been better than any of my GMs (when they drums) so there is hope for yours. Even if I end up having to tweak the adjusters at some point it's better. At least they don't jump and pop and lock up at the slightest touch of the pedal every time they are damp even when adjusted well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.