Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still searching scrap yards and used auto parts for a 1.6 16V engine. I was wondering if the 1.6L engine of the new 3 door Grand Vitara is the same 1.6L engine that fits the Samurai gearbox. Because it is a very smooth-running engine and the idea of fitting it on my Samurai seems very appealing.

I think the 3-door GV is not available in the US, but it is in Europe and Australia.

The engine specs according to the UK site is:
Bore: 78 mm
Stroke: 83 mm
Total capacity: 1586 cc
16 valves
Compression ratio: 10.5:1
Power: 106 HP @ 5900 RPM
Torque: 107 lb.ft @ 4100 RPM

Any input would be highly appreciated.

I'm talking about this GV:

And is it a different engine than the older model?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Early GVs have the G16B engine and it will fit in the Sammy, the Baleno/Esteem 1.6 engine will also fit but needs a bit more work routing the coolant piping. I think that the later GVs have the M16 engine which has a different bolt pattern.

·
Registered
616 Posts
So the engine that does fit the Samurai is the G16B? I'll be on the look for that.
...it does and yet it does not.

You can easily install a G16-block onto a Samurai transmission with an easy to find/purchase adapter kit. Most G16 adapter kits also come with custom motor mounts necessary to properly connect the engine to the frame. Most of the big aftermarket Suzuki Samurai (SJ-413) vendors in the US sell them as do international vendors. A popular one (I bought it for mine) is manufactured by Calmini.

Trying to find an adapter kit for the M16 block that Rhinoman mentioned may be very difficult (if not impossible) to find - probably because us rotton, stinking USA-ens don't have a bunch of M16s (engines, that is! :eek: ) laying about in salvage yards compared to the G16s. That is why the G16 engine is the way to go.

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...it does and yet it does not.

You can easily install a G16-block onto a Samurai transmission with an easy to find/purchase adapter kit. Most G16 adapter kits also come with custom motor mounts necessary to properly connect the engine to the frame. Most of the big aftermarket Suzuki Samurai (SJ-413) vendors in the US sell them as do international vendors. A popular one (I bought it for mine) is manufactured by Calmini.

Trying to find an adapter kit for the M16 block that Rhinoman mentioned may be very difficult (if not impossible) to find - probably because us rotton, stinking USA-ens don't have a bunch of M16s (engines, that is! :eek: ) laying about in salvage yards compared to the G16s. That is why the G16 engine is the way to go.

I hope that this helps!

That's great help Ack, thank you so much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts