Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my Samurai for some time now, trying to get it to a satisfactory level, and here's the latest picture of it:

Now, I've come to something I need professional advice on. I've got 33" tires, and 1.6:1 T/C gearing. The high-range reduction of the TC is quite sufficient for the 33" tires, but still needs just a notch more reduction, to cruise on the highway comfortably and use the fifth gear. The solution to this is to further reduce the gearing on the ring and pinion gears. My problem with that is that when I upgrade my engine to 1.6L, I'm worried that with the reduction of the R/P the engine will be revving too high on highway cruising, and the new engine should compensate for the lost speed and use of fifth gear with the current R/P setup.

What do you pro folks think? Should I regear my R/P or keep it as is, considering that I'll be upgrading my engine?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
You need to 'run the numbers' to see what you will end up with.
Here is a link to a set of gear calculators.
Gear Calculator

Here is another link to te gearing tables that will give you the 'magic numbers' you will need to put into those tables.
Gearing Tables

The thing to remember is that the 1.6 has a lower redline than the 1.3 - it can't take the higher revs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to 'run the numbers' to see what you will end up with.
Here is a link to a set of gear calculators.
Gear Calculator

Here is another link to te gearing tables that will give you the 'magic numbers' you will need to put into those tables.
Gearing Tables

The thing to remember is that the 1.6 has a lower redline than the 1.3 - it can't take the higher revs.
I checked those sites, but none of them take into account the reduction achieved by the 6.5:1 transfer case. They all assume I have a stock transfer case. Is there a calculator for that?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Suzuki Samurai Gear Calculator

this is my favorite one. It calculates your transfer case gear percentage and you can change any and all gear ratios in the T-case, transmission, R&P, and tire size, and compare them to stock. You can put in your rev limits and it will tell you what your speed range will be in each gear. It's most of the stuff billjohn linked, but it's all in one calculator and the numbers all interact with one another.

one thing it doesn't tell you is how much torque you have and if you are gearing it beyond the engines capabilities. You gotta figure that out for yourself.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suzuki Samurai Gear Calculator

this is my favorite one. It calculates your transfer case gear percentage and you can change any and all gear ratios in the T-case, transmission, R&P, and tire size, and compare them to stock. You can put in your rev limits and it will tell you what your speed range will be in each gear. It's most of the stuff billjohn linked, but it's all in one calculator and the numbers all interact with one another.

one thing it doesn't tell you is how much torque you have and if you are gearing it beyond the engines capabilities. You gotta figure that out for yourself.

That's a GREAT site Bratacus, thank you so much.

I'm running right now on high range with only -5% loss on first to fourth gear, and +3% gain on fifth gear with my 33" tires ... that's very close to stock gearing with stock tires. I guess I should go for the 4.57:1 R&P configuration, which will give me a 16% increase in gearing on 1st to 4th, and 26% in fifth.

Very helpful, thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts