Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my lock right locker with me now, and I'm planning on installing it in my rear diff. Decided to keep the front diff open, to avoid breaking the stock front axles. I bought the one that come without the side gears, as per Bill's advice in a previous post.

I have several concerns about it:
  1. I can't understand how will the locker fit with the stock side gears. I can't imagine the teeth of the side gears would align with those of the locker. Do they align perfectly? Because the stock side gears are contoured to match the spider gears, while the lockright locker teeth are not contoured.
  2. Is my rear diff with a third member? i.e. do I need to completely dismantle the whole carrier and ring gear to install the locker gears, or can it be done without losing the ring and pinion alignment?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Yes, the teeth will be fine.
And, yes, you have to pull the carrier and disassemble it. The locker is almost the center of the whole carrier. Mark everything and then when you put it back together you will be pretty darn close. Then you just have to tweak it a little to reset the backlash. Normal wear has already changed the setting anyway.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the teeth will be fine.
And, yes, you have to pull the carrier and disassemble it. The locker is almost the center of the whole carrier. Mark everything and then when you put it back together you will be pretty darn close. Then you just have to tweak it a little to reset the backlash. Normal wear has already changed the setting anyway.
Thanks Bill. A very quick response indeed :)

I guess this will be beyond my skill level. I'll have to do it at a Mechanic.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too bad you aren't closer, We could do it in an afternoon...:cool:
Are you from Texas?

Where I live nobody knows anything about Samurais; that's why my car has become really unique around here. That's why all my parts are being ordered from the states; couldn't find any locally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts