Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering moving on from my 2002 GV to the later model with the 2.4 petrol. I had originally been looking at the early years around 2009 but since reading about the engine block cracking am now looking for one around 2011. The facelifted 2013 model is not within my budget.

- I do not like that the 2011 models are without a spare wheel (in the UK, at least). I'd be interested to know if anyone has added one to the rear door?

- The top spec SZ5 models seem to be the ones to go for, but come with keyless entry and start which I'm not a fan of. Does this tend to be a reliable system or is it problematic?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think that the back door hasn’t changed from 2011 to 2015 so you can buy a door with spare tire and change between the doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be a convenient solution. From looking at photos, it seems that the rear bumper may also need swapping

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I'm considering moving on from my 2002 GV to the later model with the 2.4 petrol. I had originally been looking at the early years around 2009 but since reading about the engine block cracking am now looking for one around 2011. The facelifted 2013 model is not within my budget.

- I do not like that the 2011 models are without a spare wheel (in the UK, at least). I'd be interested to know if anyone has added one to the rear door?

- The top spec SZ5 models seem to be the ones to go for, but come with keyless entry and start which I'm not a fan of. Does this tend to be a reliable system or is it problematic?

Thanks in advance
Mines been fine, no issues as reliable as any other system on the market. Its the same system as the standard key less entry but with added buttons on the doors, they still have a pretty standard ignition barrel that you can still use a key in if you really want to.

As for the spare you would need to find a door with the strengthening and recess for the spare from a wrecker. In the last 45,000 km I have had 1 puncture. If you are that worried get some tyre slime injected into the wheels (I didn't tell you but the tubeless push-bike tyre sealant is the same stuff) and forget about punctures.

Reactions: ktuk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad to hear that the keyless system has worked well for you.

As for the spare you would need to find a door with the strengthening and recess for the spare from a wrecker.
Ah so the doors with the spare wheel on are stronger you think? I was hoping I could just bolt a wheel carrier onto the door and move the number plate.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,542 Posts
The standard door skin is 22g, it will not support the additional torque and weight of a wheel...

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the keyless system has worked well for you.

Ah so the doors with the spare wheel on are stronger you think? I was hoping I could just bolt a wheel carrier onto the door and move the number plate.
Very much stronger, they have the reinforced area and bracing to take the spare. You will also need the bumper with the dish in it off the same car to allow the spare to fit otherwise you'll be wasting your time just getting a door.

It would be cheaper to keep bike slime in the tyres and a space saver in the boot if you are really that worried. How many puncture events have you had on other vehicles?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks both, that's very helpful to know about the door.

I've never had a puncture to date but that doesn't mean I won't in future. For a regular car I wouldn't mind so much but I would take the GV places where rescue trucks wouldn't want to come off road or in snow - which are more likely to see you hit something sharp in the first place..

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I understand his worry, I had my first leaker in 15 yrs just last week.. That would be 3 tire set ago..

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
There were 2 door styles, one with a high mount, standard bumper but restricted vision (that is the one I have), and the low mount that required the concave bumper..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There were 2 door styles, one with a high mount, standard bumper but restricted vision (that is the one I have), and the low mount that required the concave bumper..
That's interesting, I think I've only seen the low mount with the concave bumper in the UK. I wouldn't mind the restricted vision though and a full width flat bumper is nice for two people to sit on

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I don't think the high mounts were offered in the European market. The low mount ones bad enough for rear view vision

Having had that bumper off and seeing what's under it, I wouldn't sit on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having had that bumper off and seeing what's under it, I wouldn't sit on it
Haha OK, that's a shame. All useful information. The bumper on my old 2002 makes a great seat to change out of your boots after a long walk..

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
the 3G models are more designed to absorb impacts, not to be a solid seat. As long as the aforementioned butt is not that big you should be ok, mine is too large and heavy.....I'll admit that much

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the 2.4 UK model, the keyless entry is great, can be annoying if you open a door then want to get in another as you have to close it again. Might just be me still trying to work it out.

Im in the spare wheel scenario now, wondering what to do. Was considering a space saver from another car instead of the full size but im not sure how 'safe' it would be.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
space savers are fine up to 50 kph, they are a get you to a repair station item, not designed for any sort of distance driving. As long as overall diameter is similar there should be no issues for short distances at low speeds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I may be barking up wrong tree here but is there an aftermarket spare rack/holder available that fits standard door or rear on separate hinge system available anywhere?? I have seen them fitted to just about every vehicle known to man in Australia arb make a lot of things like that here just a thought? My 2010 gv has full size alloy spare in aus and I couldn’t live or imagine being without it!

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
The tire on my rear rack has been changed once due to rot and the present tire is in the same condition, has been used once in 21yrs... I would not be panicking at the loss of mine..

·
Registered
304 Posts
It would be cheaper to keep bike slime in the tyres and a space saver in the boot if you are really that worried. How many puncture events have you had on other vehicles?
that stuff is useless if you rip open the wall on a rock or stump. believe me.....I'll take the spare anytime.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I may be barking up wrong tree here but is there an aftermarket spare rack/holder available that fits standard door or rear on separate hinge system available anywhere?? I have seen them fitted to just about every vehicle known to man in Australia arb make a lot of things like that here just a thought? My 2010 gv has full size alloy spare in aus and I couldn’t live or imagine being without it!
Std rear door is not strengthened for a spare, the one with the door has additional bracing and support racks back to the hinges for the added weight

1 - 20 of 25 Posts