Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I Just scored an 87 Samurai really cheep! Needs a lil TLC but the engine had an oil leak; prior owner didn’t pay attention & it started to seize up! It didn’t completely; it still rotates freely under load from the starter but sounds like it has metal to metal contact going on.
1) Would you just pull & rebuild the engine?
2) Would you just replace the engine?
3) If so with what? Which of the engine choices; would be the easiest too replace it with?
Least amount of hassle!
I have seen a lot of the choices; but I don’t know the full detail of all that’s involved with it! I really like the sound of a VW 1.6, or 1.9 TDI Diesel for the mileage, but it sounds really expensive! I also have heard about the GEO tracker 1.6!
4) Where is the most reasonable place to order a master engine rebuild kit?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
First of all, you can't know what kind of condition the motor is in until you tear it down. This isn't true for all motors, but the problems you describe are not gonna get fixed using a quicky rebuild kit. I would bet there are problems at the head and crank.
Throwing in even a junkyard replacement will still cost you $400-$500 easily, and that is assuming you do all the work yourself.
Any used motor should be gone through and rebuilt before spending the time to install it.

It doesn't sound like you realistically got it for cheap...

But if you are ready to drop some coin and build a nice motor you should have a nice rig. Good Luck.;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
upgrading to the G16 motor is pretty common and the conversion to the 8valve version is relatively inexpensive. About the same as puting in a rebuilt G13. This would be a good time to upgrade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will this work?

Will the engine from a 1996 Geo Metro. 4 cylinder 1.3 I think! Will it just replace the locked up 1.3 in an 86 Samurai?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts